1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just pick someone already

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is anyone else just fed up with the drama queen game of "oooh, who is Obama and McCain going to pick as their running mate?" They, especially Obama right now, keep playing this coy little game. "I know who it is, but I'm not telling just yet!" And the worst part is we in the media eat that shit up like a four-year-old waiting for a surprise.

"Nowwwwwww will you tell me?" And then five minutes later "how 'bout now?"

It's not a fucking story until he picks someone. Until then how about we cover something else?

2. Was it like this in previous elections?

I don't remember it being this big of a deal. I could be wrong.

Perhaps because of Dick Cheney's reshaping of the VP spot into a more powerful position? Al Gore's post-VP prominence?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kerry announced Edwards 20 days before the convention.

At this point, yes, just announce it. Especially Obama. The convention starts in less than 70 hours.

4. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

It's worse this year because the Obama campaign said on Monday it could possibly be Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday, then Friday. Maybe he'll just choose himself.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the difference this year is that neither candidate wants to have the announcement get lost in the Olympics news.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've informed my colleagues here that anyone in this office who utters the word "veepstakes" will incur reprisal in the form of having his ballsack cruelly ripped from his body.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Obama decision notwithstanding, it's hard to understand how someone in the news business can have an issue with a 24-hour news cycle.

Self-defeating? Granted, there are times when there's a stretch to fill a slow news cycle, but the overall concept has revolutionized the way the world gets information. How is that self-defeating? People are tuned in every day as if they're watching All My Children. Not a bad thing, if you're in the business of disseminating news and information.

Re Obama, I love it. Anything that brings people into the debate, guessing and chatting and betting and debating. Never seen anything like it before.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No different than filling space and time when a coach "is believed to have been contacted by school/team X regarding its opening," or an athlete "is believed to be considering signing with school/team X." In any case, it is indeed very tiresome, making news when there is none to be made.

Edit: Yet 21 does have a point. At least people are interested in the political process in this, arguably the most important general election of my lifetime.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The leak?

Obama-Bayh
    http://www.kmbc.com/index.html

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's pretty obviously not done by the Obama people.

Wrong font, wrong colors, wrongity wrong-wrong.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It looks fully and completely bogus ... but if it's not, it's a hell of a scoop.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Like this leak?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5377014

Draft saved Draft deleted