1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just ordered an iPad. Advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 11, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What new technologies are you disappointed in?

What is it you expected your IPAD to do?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, no kidding... One of my friends who is in the Air Force and was deployed for six months used his so he could see his kids via face time. Just after hearing about that feature, I will never question the awesomeness of this tablet.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Work. I don't care about watching movies or playing games on a portable device.

And it's not just the iWhatever. I have tried pretty much every newfangled gadget available, and nothing beats a good old cheap laptop.

Just my experience. Other people love them.

4. You can make phone calls as well, so that's a plus.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I still maintain that 90 percent of people who carry laptops don't really need them. I haven't seen a study, but I'm convinced if you could do an accurate study of how people use them you would find almost none of the users perform any tasks that require on-hand computing power.

My one complaint is my Bluetooth keyboard is not as accurate/user friendly as a standard keyboard.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I bought a Targus case/keyboard for my The New iPod. The keyboard isn't full-size and you have quirks to get used to, such as hitting function-n for a question mark, but it works really well and is a definite step up for longer writing from the on-screen keyboard. I wish it was removable, like some of the others I've seen, but I got it through Amazon for $60, which is $40-60 cheaper than the others, so I won't complain.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My Bluetooth keyboard is definitely a big improvement over the on-screen virtual keyboard when it comes to longer typing/writing needs, but it's kind of ganky. It's from a company called 'it.' I've never used any of their other products.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just found out I'm getting the iPad2 and not the iPad3 for my work award. I probably shouldn't be surprised.

It's funny, our quarterly bonuses can approach (very) low five figures, but all anybody at my company cares about now is who is getting the $500 toy.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's little improvement, in my opinion, through the various iterations.
    The camera is important if you use FaceTime or Skype, which I don't.
    Second and third versions are a little slimmer and lighter than my original.
    Screen resolution is better on the V3.
    Processing speeds have increased incrementally. By the time V4 comes out, it might be fast enough for me to want a new one, but probably not.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's worth it to to me to be able to text and FaceTime with my wife. FT works so much better than Skype, it isn't even funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted