1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just ordered an iPad. Advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of a couple writers who are only traveling with iPads these days. I've never used one, so, I don't know, but I would guess that based on sending email with my Kindle Fire, that using an iPad to write a gamer would be a nightmare, but it works for them.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Get a screen protector, Zagg makes a good one. And, while I've always believed in doing things myself, this is one I'll let someone else do. Spend the 20 bucks or so they charge and go to Best Buy and let them do it. Otherwise it will have air bubbles in it or never be just smooth enough. Best part is, if they mess up while putting it on they eat the replacement cost instead of you, but they do enough of these a day, that usually doesn't happen.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Our sports staff uses them, most of them like it, a couple took a while to come around but are enjoying it now. We still have one who hates it, but I also think it took him a while to embrace writing on a computer.

If you're going to be doing gamers on it, get a bluetooth keyboard and keep fresh batteries handy. The onscreen keyboard sucks for anything other than typing anything other than short emails.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Make extra time for refreshing of Internet pages.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just connect your iPad to your computer and use it as a remote desktop via VPN.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm considering getting an Otterbox case for my iPad. They're not cheap, but I have one for my phone and it's pretty great. My youngest dropped it off the second story and it landed on the tile floor with no damage whatsoever.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I just got this - it's expensive but I liked the idea of being able to keep my ipad charged without having to plug anything in since I am in airplanes/airports/meetings where everyone is fighting for the available outlets.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=81332&promo=Electronics-iPad-Accessories&catid=1689

It will protect my ipad the next time I drop it on the tile floor, too.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Mizzou, I have this fantastic piece of technology. I purchased it at the off-priced retailer that I work at for $39 on clearance. It makes me very happy. I've filed three games from it.

[​IMG]

You said you won one at work? So did Dr. J and it's mine now. If you're planning to use Applecare with it, what are you using for your proof of purchase? Dr. J works for GM, so my only proof is the Chevy logo on the back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't hit your dog on the nose with it.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Don't use it to swat flies. Oh, on second thought, go ahead. About all it's really good for in the long run. Another expensive and disappointing toy, like 99.9% of technology.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You cannot be serious. Better than a tiny phone, more portable than a laptop.
    If tablets are "disappointing," I guess that's why nobody is buying them. Oh, wait ...

Draft saved Draft deleted