1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just jump already!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 23, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My favorite moment of the whole LW series, for this reason: When Mel has the gun under his chin, and Glover stops him, watch Mel's eyes. Goes from crazy, to an even scarier dead calm and "I'm hungry. I'm gonna go get a hot dog," walks out. Those 10 seconds, and just his eyes... wow.

Second fave isn't even in the main cut of the film. If you get the director's cut, there's a scene where Riggs takes out a sniper at a school. Just calmly walks to the middle of the kill zone with shots peppering all around him, taunts the shooter to get him to show himself and unloads a clip into the guy.

2. KG

KG Active Member

My favorite moment of the whole LW series, for this reason: When Mel has the gun under his chin, and Glover stops him, watch Mel's eyes. Goes from crazy, to an even scarier dead calm and "I'm hungry. I'm gonna go get a hot dog," walks out. Those 10 seconds, and just his eyes... wow.
    [/quote]

That scene had me hook, line and sinker.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

And now ... there's video!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8069686.stm

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why the heck did the firefighters just pick the guy up after he landed? If there was any possiblity of injury, they should have held him still.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe they wanted him to die, so there would be no chance of him trying something stupid like that again.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

That guy gets a thumbs up in my book. If you're going to commit suicide, just do it with a gun or some pills at home. Don't hold up traffic in the hopes someone will convince you to live.

I was late to a big prep football game because of one of these idiot attention seekers on an overpass over I-75 in Atlanta. I just turned my car off and waited. And waited. I got out of my car on the interstate, met some nice folks wondering what the hell was the holdup, and then, 30 minutes later, traffic started to move again. I missed the first quarter and most of the second on a game that was easily one of the best in the state that year.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Didn't Dirty Harry punch his wannabe jumper, while in the extended cherry picker?

I think that is when his then-partner asked why his name is Dirty Harry.

"Because I get stuck with every dirty job that comes along."

8. KG

KG Active Member

I wonder if that was the time where there were three would-be jumpers in one month. It doesn't happen that often around Atlanta, but there was one "busy" jumper month.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It might have been. I took the wife to a trip to the Mall of Georgia a few weeks later and traffic was snarled by another jumper. They need to develop some kind of nonlethal device to get these folks off the overpasses and into the nice, sleeveless white coats and padded cells where they belong.

10. U.Fester

U.Fester New Member

That is batshit crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted