1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just how bad is the Durham Herald-Sun now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by diamondchips9, Jun 30, 2009.

1. diamondchips9

diamondchips9 New Member

I learned tonight they are now offering stringers $30 a game for covering the minor-league team that helped put the city on the map after they axed the beat writer. Durham circulation has gone down from 50 thousand to 40 to 30 to 20-some since the Paxton idiots bought it 3 1/2 short years ago.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

STRINGERS to cover the Bulls? Stringers?

Bad enough they cut Mike Potter, a tireless worker and a man who had more balls up in the air than any circus act in existence. But stringers for the primary beat of the summer ... at least until ACC football swings into gear?

Just when one couldn't think less of the Herald-Sun and Paxton ...

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow, they used to pay stringers $50 a story. Then again, they never paid me, so I guess they saved some money there.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Seriously, $30 for a game in Durham? Hey, I'll do Duke-Carolina for $50 if they need help ...

5. bmm

bmm Member

Definitely a paper that has went off the deep end.

6. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

When I first got out of college, I tried to give them a copy of my resume. They wouldnt even take it. They said they hadnt hired someone in two years or so and me giving them a resume would be a waste.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If the fanboys want to whore themselves out for $30, that's there choice. Unfortunately the pay that little because someone will take the gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted