1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just gross...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jan 30, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of the best personalities I've met covering high school sports came with wrestling. I make fun of the sport, but there really are some great people competing in it.

I still remember one of the first wrestling meets I had ever covered. I was interviewing one of the wrestlers in the locker room, which was just about empty by then. He glances behind me a time or two, trying not to laugh. I finally notice and turn around...and one of his teammates is mooning me.

The kid showing the moon ended up being a state champion a year later. That's one of the tamer stories I know about him.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm working on a wrestling feature right now. I stepped around the mat, but I think I'm OK on the herpes front. Though I did shake some hands while I was there.

I always enjoyed covering wrestling because of the kids and because a dual match can be over in about 30 minutes.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed my HS wrestling days (98 lber); felt I was in the best shape of my life, to this day; um except for the starving aspect (parents eat T-Bone for dinner; salad for me; just wrong) The constant intensity is unmatched in any other sport.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Your dual meets must have a ton of pins and forfeits .. 14 matches in 30 minutes? That's cookin'.... It's about an hour and a half or two hours usually for me.

5. Maybe during the eight-day shutdown, the Star Tribune's copy editors can decide whether it's Herpes gladiatorum or gladiatorium.

But as a former wrestler, I can attest our coach, a former college champion, was fanatical about keeping the mats clean and disinfected, and wrestlers using body wash in the shower. Or is that too much information? ;D

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

are you sayin' there's something wrong with my gear?
    [​IMG]

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I found swimming parents to be crazier than wrestling parents.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Can't wait for Vinny Mac to find an angle to use from this knowledge.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that by giving wrestlers Valtrex as a preventative measure the spread of this particular strain of herpes could be cut tremendously -- something like 94 percent. Can you imagine the uproar, though, if some public high school league started encouraging or requring that of its wrestlers.

As a former wrestler who picked this nasty little bug up at a tournament many moons ago, I'm glad to hear Minnesota is taking some steps to keep a widespread outbreak from happening. It ain't fun to have.

The sad part is it's largely preventable with good hygiene -- both mats and wrestlers. But everybody involved has to be religious about it. I'm 99.9 percent sure I know who I picked it up from -- saw the sore after wrestling him. I knew him well and he wasn't so hot on the whole bathing thing. Pisses me off because during my wrestling days I would shower 3 to 4 times a day -- often once or twice during long breaks at tournaments. And I was a hawk about making sure our mats got disinfected before and after practice. I still got the shit.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

was talking with a school trainer last night at a bkb game. His school is one of the few in this state that has wrestling and a lot of schools dont disinfect their mats after matches...

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's simply disgusting.

Those things need to be sprayed to shit and hung up in the cradle after every match.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm surprised he was allowed to wrestle with an open sore. At my son's tournaments, pre-tournament they do practically a full-body check (no private checking, thank god), and anyone with a sore is tossed. You also have to have your fingernails cut just about to the quick, too. Before one tournament I frantically raced out at 7 a.m. to find a suburban convenient store that carried clippers. The worst part was giving up my parking spot -- those kiddie tournaments fill 'em up fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted