1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Graduated from College

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gorndawg, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Oh, and newbie? Go fetch me a beer.

2. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

First, drop the tude.

Second, assume that covering D-1 college sports because you go to a D-1 college will do absolutely no good. I went to one of the best J-Schools in the country and my first job was covering preps. I was lucky to have it.

Accept a job that fits what you want if you have parents willing to pay your student loans for you.

If not, there are crappy jobs open where they pay you. Take one of those to start and try to move up.

The worst thing you can do is think you're Rick Reilly in the making, because you're not. You're a kid fresh out of college, which is what anyone doing hiring will see you as.

3. OK, I know Gorndawg, and trust me, he means well. But, with that said, I think rolling has provided the best advice. Gorndawg, go HARD after the Emporia gig. It seems solid.

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Hey Jeffrey, that was a low blow. You expect Gorndawg to go after Emporia, an 8,000 circulation paper with a DII school? Don't delude yourself. He's been doing journalism writing for 10 years at top-quality programs and for the past four years, he's been covering major sports at a top DI university!! He should be looking for jobs like covering the Yankees for the New York Times or the Redskins for the Washington Post. Don't give him that inexperience line!

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

I covered a D-I football team in college and it landed me on the copy desk in news. I had to get a job, so I when one came around, I jumped. I'm back where I want to be now, but I didn't get here by walking into a sweet gig after I got my tassels

Draft saved Draft deleted