1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Graduated from College

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gorndawg, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Gorndawg

Gorndawg New Member

As the subject obviously states, I just graduated in early June. Now with my diploma in one hand and a pen in the other, I am trying to land my first post-college job as a sports writer. I was wondering if anybody had some tips and thoughts about getting started in this field. Thanks.
    Gorndawg

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Too late.
    Shoulda had yer first gig while in school.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

ie. YOU"RE FIRED.

Before someone tells him he's hired.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Try checking out the 5,000 other threads about this same topic.

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Uh, I'd think you ought to have a job or a post-graduate internship at a major metro already lined up by the time you graduate.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

I hope you have some previous experience such as school newspaper, intern at the local rag — something. If not, be ready to work some crap job in southwest Who Cares writing community softball gamers.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would at least learn to use spell check before creating your handle... was that supposed to be Corndog?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, to make up for my bitchy post, some advice: you should be reading everything sports-related you can get your hands on, and be begging the local sports editor to add you as a stringer. Or let you take prep phone calls. Or do agate.

If you don't know Quark/InDesign/Photoshop, learn now. This summer would be a great time to take a class. Learn your way around HTML as well.

10. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

That's bad advice. If you want to write, then write. Don't learn paginating, or take prep calls, or do agate. The only thing that'll do is get you pigeon-holed away from writing.

11. JME

JME Member

I hope you don't seriously believe that, PE. ???

This kid has no experience. There's a very good chance he's going to have to do some things besides just writing in order to get his first job, which beats sitting at home with mom and dad, eating ramen noodle sandwiches. I don't think anyone is going to be pigeonholed by a job they take at 21 or 22, right out of school

12. pallister

pallister Guest

As mentioned, it will not be easy to get started out of college with no previous experience. Your best bet is to go to a small local paper and ask about stringing. Once you get your foot in the door at such a place, you can turn that into a full-ime gig if you prove to be dependable and willing to learn. And learn EVERYTHING you possibly can. You'll certainly be pigeon-holed and probably of no use at such a paper and probably unemployable if you can't learn to do more than one thing at a small paper. You learn a variety of things at a small paper just starting out and work hard, you'll move up the ladder eventually. Trust me. I never worked a day at a high school or college paper before getting my start at the hometown paper for no pay (and I never graduated from college). I'm far from an f'n stud, but I've done all right for myself. You can too, as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted