1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just got demoted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Sep 18, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Learn Spanish. I'm serious. At least half the job listings these days say ``bilingual preferred.''

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also a very good point.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Arabic probably wouldn't hurt either.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you're American and can speak Arabic, our nation's intelligence community would like to talk to you about its outstanding salary and benefits.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just as long as you bat from the correct side of the plate.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once talked to a CIA recruiter who told me that if he had a room full of 100 people who spoke various dialects of Arabic, he'd give 'em 100 jobs ... on the spot.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

If that's still true, please onpass the name of the recuiter. 3ffak, wxxha? Shukran bzaf, xuha.

Along the lines of the HTML, is there a good reference guide online to self-teach the basics? When people say they want HTML knowledge, how basic does that mean?

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The list someone posted earlier on this thread is a starting point.

Go find an HTML for Dummies book, then start playing around. Immerse yourself in for a while. It's the best way to learn anything.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

As I live in Morocco, I have no local library or Borders. Just wondered if someone had found a good online site to learn from.

For language learning, I recommend the coffeebreak series.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Update...

First, a sincere thank you from all of you. Yes, I did brush up on HTML and other web avenues, along with some of the other basics that I hadn't had time to work on. Work up early and have spent my off days interviewing in all different fields. Actually, it's been very exciting to meet so many new people who are out of our journalism circle.

Decent news from here. Still working 'in the business', although my exit strategy is moving forward.

Found a strong lead and have had THREE interviews now (one on the phone, two in person) for a great position that is out of journalism but is very related to what I do - talking, writing. Just has a bunch of traveling, which I'm concerned about with small kids, but even my wife - who suffered with me as a sports guy for waaaay too long - is supportive of this.

I think she just wants me out of TV. Two weeks since this all went down, I want off this stupid ride myself after a good 15 year run... :)

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Congrats on the positive news......thanks for sharing it with us! :)

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best of luck!

I normally advocate being professional at all times, giving appropriate notice and such when getting a new job offer. However, getting demoted to me is a gigantic fuck you from an employer. I'd at least be tempted to leave without notice if I were in a job that demoted me.

Draft saved Draft deleted