1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just got demoted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Sep 18, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

hurts like heck.

I have about ten months to find something else...

Background:
    Broadcasting with daily writing deadlines
    Print, both daily articles and books
    Strong public speaker

Aside from the usual PR avenues -- which, of course, are tight... any thoughts on what to look for or - maybe - what, in the next 7 months, to teach myself. Website building? Other computer related skills?

Much appreciated.

exh

2. I'm sorry, brother. Good luck

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

At least you still have a job, right?

Did they demote you now and then tell you the job was going to be gone in 10 months?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Sorry about the news. Learn HTML. I could double the number of jobs I could at least apply for if I knew it.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

my contract expires then. I know that I'm far better off than many on this board, except that I'm doing a different job now, one that is at a lower level. But I'm paid the same.

Not looking for any pity. Just some ideas.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Basic HTML, basic CSS, photoshop, acrobat reader.

Things you need to know about html: how to bold, italicize, how to do bullets, line breaks, paragraphs, how to embed links to other pages, how to redirect to other pages, how to embed photos, and even video. How to create a table.

Understand social networking sites, primarily Twitter and Facebook and how they can help your company. Learn about Facebook Connect before everyone else does.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

ex, I wish I could help you. Web knowledge is ALWAYS going to be key. If you can learn HTML (which is relatively easy) and other computer gunk, then that will definitely boost your sellability.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Got good eyes? Army needs lots of pilots.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sorry for your woes. Good advice from Mustang.
    Keep your head up. You still have income coming in. Spend it wisely and save.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Great ideas from Mustang and some were ones I was going to propose. Social networking is taking over. From Twitter, Facebook and blogs, that's what you need to understand and accelerate at. I'm in the process of teaching myself HTML on a larger scale than what I was taught in a few CS classes in college. I've already started up my resort's terrain park twitter and facebook fan page and currently developing the terrain park blog. Doing this on my own with no support from my company and just hoping the higher ups look at it and think, 'what a fucking great idea' or, 'what an idiot.'

Best of luck.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Learn everything Mustang suggested. Start looking NOW. Treat it as if it were a second full-time job.

If you get something better before the 10-month contract is up, leave for the new gig as soon as you can.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry about your news, xmh, but there's some great advice here. All the best to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted