1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just got a little dusty in here....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 23, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never was any good at it.

I mean, yeah, it's an OK story. And it does pack some emotion. But the way it ends, can anyone even feign to imagine some Hollywood producer would read it and say, "Yeah, we've just got to make a movie about this"? Not bloody likely.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Couldn't make it through the story, but the OTL segment was pretty good.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The story is great, except for one major item.

The glorification of a prick. Aunese's attitude toward Kristy was inexcusable.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't get the sense that aspect of him was glorified in the least. Hell, I thought it showed him warts and all.

Shit, he was a 20-year-old. Most 20-year-olds wouldn't react a hell of a lot different.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'd have to agree. I think the piece pretty much makes clear that Aunese redeemed himself in the end. I was in this position myself my senior year of high school ... my girlfriend and I lost the baby before we told anyone.

His reaction certainly isn't the way I would have handled it ... but having walked in those shoes, I'm not going to judge anyone else.

I've never been a big Bill McCartney fan, but in this case, he certainly walked the walk. Kudos to him for supporting his daughter and helping raise his grandson.

As far as the rainbow thing ... you either believe in that kind of thing, or you don't. Those of us who do believe aren't threatened by the views of those who don't.

A very nice piece all around, in my opinion.

And by the way ... there already is a movie in development:

http://www.salthemovie.com/index.html

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've seen other stories where Sal and Kristy's relationship didn't simply fade away - he dropped her like a hot potato and wouldn't acknowledge the kid until a blood test proved he was the father.

To make matters worse for Kristy, she went through it all over again a few years later with Shannon Clavelle, except he lived but still doesn't come around or support his child, supposedly.

Hopefully she stopped dating her father's football players after that.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My first thought when McCartney related the scene about Aunese saying, " I won't marry her," was, What an asshole. Not sure they glorified him in the piece, but it appears they purposely glossed over a little reality for a better story.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought that too.

"Look, this is not going to affect your position on the team, but I'd like you to establish right now whether you're going to be with her through this or whether you're not."

"Coach, I'm not going to marry her."

Sal, you didn't have to marry her. You were asked if you would stand by her.

I don't care if he was 20 or 21 or however old he was. He was a grown man, an adult. He needed to make an adult decision, and he failed.

Maybe he made up for it in some way by acknowledging the child and by apologizing to Kristy for the way things had transpired. If he did, that's great. It doesn't change that he treated her like shit.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Rainbows in Seattle are actually a fairly rare occurrence. Sorry to burst your bubble.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The whole story is pretty crazy, and I always thought it was worthy of a book or a movie. Stud recruit out of SoCal, lifts Colorado, knocks up the coach's daughter, turns his back on her and her family, then gets fatal stomach cancer at age 20 and dies when his new son is just months old?

That is crazy.

I've read a lot about Sal Aunese, but Friend does a great job getting even more details about his last few years. Well done.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Knowing his family believed that you had to marry the girl when she's pregnant, and Bill McCartney's known religious beliefts, I figured Sal's first thought is, 'They're going to pressure me into marrying her.' So, his first reaction was, 'No, I'm not marrying her."

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

there's another thread going titled something like "why do newspapers need paper again?" for me, it's stories like this. I find it virtually impossible to read a story of this length and topical breadth online.

Draft saved Draft deleted