1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Based on recommendations from others, I've actually never seen season 1. I was advised to skip it and I just jumped in at season 2.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I saw Season 1, hated it and never went back.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You should give it another try. It's great from season 2 on.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wacthed one episode of the first season. Haven't watched since.
    I saw Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally on 'The Mortified Sessions' and thought they were funny.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Give it another shot. The first season, like so many shows, was trying to figure itself out. Now it has and is one of the two funniest shows on TV (along with Modern Family), IMO. Parks and Rec has grown by leaps and bounds since and is hysterical.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The first season was really sloppy, and they lost a lot of Office fans who stayed tune because of that. I think many have since come back, but I know a few like Evil and Buck who haven't. Give it another shot. If you like The Office, Parks and Recreation has been consistently better for four years.

7. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Not sure how I missed this thread back in September, but so glad I stumbled across it now. Swanson4Prez!

My favorite line out of all that:
    How much can your mustache bench? 114 lbs. of wife.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I watched one episode of P&R in the first season and thought it was terrible. A friend talked me into giving it another shot and it's the first thing I watch on my DVR now. I love it.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Schur made this point in one of his Season 2 interviews: In a perfect world, you'd shoot 10 episodes of TV, throw them away, and then move forward knowing exactly who your characters are and what relationships are great and what ones are meh.

Parks and Rec has become such a wonderful ensemble, and its universe keeps growing with all these tiny but wonderful memorable characters. The three main reasons why Season 1 doesn't work is Leslie and Ron and Andy -- the three best characters, now -- aren't very likable.

Once that got tweaked and the show really became kind of an ode to public service and the idea of coworkers as extended family, it was great. By the time you hit the Harvest Festival, the show is clicking.

The best thing about TV is that it's a medium that's constantly tweakable. If something isn't working with the audience, you can slowly fix it. But the downside to it is when you first start out, you make a bunch of episodes (or in the case of Parks, a whole season) without really getting feedback from an audience.

Occasionally you'll get shows (Arrested Development, Modern Family) that nail what they do immediately. But most good shows need a little time to find their way. If you watch the first five episodes of Community, they're nothing like what the show became. The entire first season of Buffy is meh. Those two shows went on to becone as creative as anything TV has ever done. It's a tricky balance.

Anyway, all this is just me saying give P&R a chance if you walked away early.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This. That clip in the originating post convinces me I'm missing something very good.

11. turski7

turski7 Member

You will not be disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted