1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Just give me a kid who can play the game'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't care what anybody says on this board, baseball/softball parents are the WORST sports parents.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much agree. The guy is a 49-year-old "general assignment reporter" with a weekly column at a small newspaper in the sticks. He's not exactly who I'm looking to for expert baseball commentary.

And, shaking his fist at clouds looks to be a theme for him. Here's his December, 2012 take on twitter:

He sounds prematurely old.

I'm guessing he's not looking for a better job. That's probably a good thing.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If I were in his shoes, I'd rather complain about Twitter in my tiny echo chamber than join and have it proven without a shadow of a doubt that no one gives a shit what I say.

4. YankeeFan

There are 92 potential followers out there for him!

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

1. Swimming
    2. Baseball/softball

But your point is solid.

Yes, let's definitely put him in nursing care. He doesn't tweet or FB.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just for kicks, I am wondering why swimming parents are the worst - is that when they call the desk?

My kid swam as a requirement for water polo. All I saw were swim parents bored out of their minds for three plus hours, except for the couple of minutes when their kid is racing.

I've seen horrible wrestling parents. Basketball parents. I've seen the wife of my daughter's club soccer coach taunt and ridicule 15 year old girls to their face.

What gives with swimming?

7. YankeeFan

No. I just think that if you were looking to advance your career, publicly stating that you are a Luddite probably isn't a good way to go about it.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not that he doesn't. It's that he mocks and belittles everyone who does. As if life must forever remain the way it was when he was growing up.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the general feeling on here is that swim parents call/email to demand equal coverage of a sport that basically nobody cares about. Mix in the 1 percenter sense of entitlement that's more prevalent in that demographic, and there you go.

But I agree 1,000 percent with your premise. I have one son in a swim club and one son on a travel baseball team. Given the choice, I'd hang out with the swim parents eight days a week.

10. jr/shotglass

Yeah, on second look, you guys are right there. Sorry.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My experience? They are typically wealthy, with all that comes with that. And they have a lot invested in this endeavor, considering it is a specialized sport that kids start when they are very young. Unlike baseball or basketball or football, most kids don't wake up one day and realize they are competitive swimmers. Competitive swimmers are designed that way.

12. jr/shotglass

poin, my experience is that they truly believe that nobody on Earth works harder than their kid, with those 6 am practices, and by God, the media had better recognize it.

Draft saved Draft deleted