1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Freaking Tragic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jps

jps Active Member

sp, you're as one-track as fredrick, scribe and some others. it's all the gun/guy with the gun's fault. we get it. as for me, again, I'm going to protect my family and go hunting every now and then.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There have been more than a few cases of a drunk college kid breaking into a house, thinking it was his own, and beating the actual participant. I seem to recall a case in the last year or two (Missouri?) where an elderly man died in those circumstances.

3. partain

partain Member

Having been scared off alcohol after driving home drunk one night in high school, I didn't realize this was such a problem for college age kids. But we had the same thing happen here in Colorado Springs just a few months back. Kid shows up at a house on the wrong street, is sure it's his, but can't get in the front door. So he goes around back and starts trying to get in. The couple calls 911 and the guy gets his gun. Drunk guy decides to break a window to get in, and only after that gets shot and killed.

Blame the guns all you want, but the guy sleeping in his bed at 2 a.m. wasn't asking for trouble. The guy getting so drunk he can't remember where he lives is doing just that. He's putting himself in a situation where only bad things can happen--and it was his choice.

Thankfully our local district attorney saw it for what it was: self-defense. Sad for the kid, his family and friends. But he made a choice. He's the one who intruded on the homeowners and put them in a situation where they had to react. Had he gone to the right house that night, he'd most likely still be alive.

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I agree with sp about guns and the violence they cause. There are -- BY FAR -- more gun deaths in America each year than any other civiliazed nation in the world.

But there is a reality we can not avoid. It would be impossible to do a nationwide sweep to collect every gun in the country. It never could be done. And if we make guns illegal, then what happens to them? They'd go to the same place every product that's made illegal goes -- to the criminals. And we can't live in a society where the criminals have all the guns and the innocents are defenseless.

I'm no fan of guns, but this is the society we have created.

5. jps

jps Active Member

ehoo - appreciate your comments. and, not trying to be an ass and seriously curious ... how do you define a 'civilized nation?' I ask, for one, because I know that there are multiple countries that turn in a higher per captia of gun-related deaths each year than does the U.S.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Waylon, it's best just to ignore everything this insufferable prick says.

If you don't, then you will just be forced to realize that RickStain must have died today and most definitely will be rising from the dead Sunday. Because good old Rick doesn't ever do anything wrong.

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I was thinking of countries like Japan and Canada and England, ect. where, I believe, there's less than 100 gun deaths per year, as apposed to the U.S. where's there's about 10,000. I was excluding third-world dictatorships, where God only knows how many gun deaths there are per year.

8. RickStain

Not putting yourself and others lives in danger doesn't make you Christ.

But those of you who do those things seem to feel the need to pretend it does to make yourselves feel better.

There are hundreds of millions of us out here who don't think you need to drink yourself into a stupor to have fun, and that if you do, you are putting yourself in danger.

"Who does he think he is, driving the speed limit and drinking responsibly?!?!?!?!"

9. jps

jps Active Member

gotcha. what's the violent crime rate in some of those, though, I wonder? as you said, when guns are removed from the citizen's hands, the only ones carrying are criminals.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not justifying this guys actions, because even at my drunkest, I've never tried to go into someone else's house.

But, your response was expected.

Oh, and if I want to get shitfaced on a Friday night, I will. It's OK. Just because you don't approve doesn't matter to me.

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Don't know. Good question.

12. RickStain

So if you aren't justifying his actions, would you like to point out exactly which sentence in my posts offended you so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.