1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Freaking Tragic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Plus, I don't care how drunk the poor SOB is: He's gonna hear you rack that fucker.

2. jps

jps Active Member

not sure how that works, but to each his own, I guess. guy dead via shotgun and guy dead via .45 ... no difference in my mind.

and, pope, no problem - just thought it was another stupid comment from sp, thinking if handguns were magically gone that we'd be completely defenseless and unable to protect home and family. a shotgun, in fact, is about the best home defense weapon there is.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My logic is this, jps:

You'd be hard pressed to find a house in that part of the world that didn't have a shotgun or deer rifle in it. Likewise, you'd be hard pressed to find a house not belonging to a cop that had a 9mm in it. That's a part of the world that has a lot of guns -- but guns that are shot outside, at animals. Not a lot of shooting ranges.

And I agree, as I said in my original post, that it wouldn't make the kid any less dead.

4. jps

jps Active Member

I guess .... but when I go hunting, I also bring my handgun, as do many, many hunters. it is sometimes needed. and there are plenty of places you can shoot that aren't ranges, like on blm land.

in any case, shouldn't fault an individual for having a gun specifically for home defense, even if he isn't a hunter.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I stopped reading after this post (if I read the next two pages I'd forget to respond) but I just want to point out I have no idea what the people in my building look like, let alone two doors down. Not many mixers any more.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think a shotgun indicates the shooter isn't the type to go looking for trouble and play Dirty Harry.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

My hatred for guns grows every day, in direct proportion to the number of dead bodies ... like this poor druken sap and the two more at some college on the other thread.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Funny, my disdain for drinking grows every day as well.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're right Rick. The kid was drunk. He deserved to die.

10. RickStain

Every year, thousands of college kids (and others) decide that it's fun to get drunk in an utterly irresponsible manner.

Every year, a few of them die through various circumstances.

It's very sad, I wish it didn't happen, and I'm sorry that it happened to him, but there's a simple way to avoid these situations.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, get rid of the fucking guns.

12. RickStain

Drinking responsibly would help as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.