1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Freaking Tragic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

How about does anything good ever happen from having a hand gun in your house for "protection?"
    No details here about what actually happened but did the shooter actually look to see that it was the drunk college kid from down the street or did he just say "go away or I'll shoot" ... booom!

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, that's not exactly an analogous point. I'm guessing mark isn't saying anybody deserved to die. It's certainly fair to raise question of whether any good comes from getting obliviously drunk.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I stumbled to my apartment door hitting the keyless entry for my car. Pressed the button about five times before I realized, no, my apartment does not have keyless entry. Yeah, I was a little drunk.

4. It is fair. I just kind of have an automatically negative reaction to anything that sounds like "Blame the victim."

But I, too, think it's ridiculous to hear people brag about blacking out, as if that's the aim.

That being said, we've all - well, not all of us, but a lot of us - have been in the situation where drunken behavior is the topic of much laughter the next day. No harm, no foul in those cases.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You know, you may be on to something.

Keyless entry to a house.

To the Bat Cave!

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The apartment complexes at my school look exactly the same save for the numbers on the outside. I actually walked into the wrong apartment in the middle of the day when I was completely sober just because I wasn't paying attention.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." -Anton Chekov

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Intoxication isn't an excuse, either.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So there's a drunk clamoring at your door at say 2 a.m. The inner door is locked, the guy is not in your house. You tell him get, lost or you'll shoot him, even though he is obvioously drubk and confused. He keeps trying to "break in" saying he lives there. So you kill him and this is known as self-defense, according to the cops in South Dakota.

So why didn't the home owner just call 911 instead of going for him 9mm and blowing the guy away?
    Because we love our fucking guns!

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The story said the guy broke the window trying to get in. In the middle of the night, someone trying to open the doors to my house and break in through my windows? I don't know if the guy's drunk, crazy, or what? Can't say for sure, but I probably would've shot him, too.

11. jps

jps Active Member

agreed, tbf.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Because the guy broke through a window, it's 2 a.m. and you have no idea what his intentions are. If the cops are going to be there five minutes later to start a homicide investigation, I would rather be the suspect than the victim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.