1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Freaking Tragic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So if the owner didn't have a gun and wound up killing the guy with a knife, everybody would be ok with that? I mean it sounds like it's ok to defend yourself unless you have a gun.

2. jps

jps Active Member

if you go through any courses, you are taught to shoot 'center mass,' or at the chest. much bigger target than, say, a leg. you try getting hollywood and shoot for his knee or something, you may well miss under the best of circumstances. under stress, you'll almost certainly miss. you are taught to take the best shot you've got. if you are shooting a gun at someone, it's never with the intent to injure them or somehow slow them down.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but it's sourced) the U.S. leads all nations with a Gross National Income in excess of $15,000 in per-capita firearm deaths. That's 26 countries. On their list of developing countries, only Estonia, Brazil and Mexico have higher per-capita firearm deaths than the United States does.

4. Armchair_QB

Who has the highest per capita murder rate?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

In the first group, the U.S., and it's not even close. In the second group (the developing countries), there are about 10 countries with a higher rate, led by South Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

6. jps

jps Active Member

posted a list I found ... it's now on top of page 4 ... this is murders per 1,000

# 1 South Africa: 0.719782
    # 2 Colombia: 0.509801
    # 3 Thailand: 0.312093
    # 4 Zimbabwe: 0.0491736
    # 5 Mexico: 0.0337938
    # 6 Belarus: 0.0321359
    # 7 Costa Rica: 0.0313745
    # 8 United States: 0.0279271
    # 9 Uruguay: 0.0245902
    # 10 Lithuania: 0.0230748

7. Armchair_QB

This is all murders, not just firearms murders?

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I don't know about anyone else, but I know I could never live with myself if I took another life. Whether it was self defense or not, I would think about the life I took every single day.

I feel horrible for both people in this situation.

9. jps

jps Active Member

sorry - firearm murders.

10. jps

jps Active Member

sp, think what you will. it's not a decision I ever want to make. but if I'm in the situation that calls for it, I know what I'll do. so if I'm a shithead for protecting my wife and daughter, then so be it. I'll be a shithead with a family, alive and well. don't break into my home and we'll get along just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.