1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just 'cuz: Rereading "Resurrecting the Champ"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I just busted out BASW of the Century for some light reading...yeah, light... and tackled Resurrecting the Champ . Damn.

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-champ,1,3255231,full.story?coll=la-news-columns&ctrack=1&cset=true

Enjoy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

i just finished Moehringer's memoir "The Tender Bar." A great read. Apparently he began taking notes for this book when he was 7 years old. There is some stuff that seems rather "artfully" interpreted, but overall the book is a must read for any writer who has struggled or feared they are not good enough.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

I read "The Tender Bar" in two sittings. Would have been one if not for work.

My favorite passage (I may have posted this before, I can't remember - It's typed out and hanging above my desk):

"Can I tell you something," the priest asked. 'Do you know why God invented writers? Because He loves a good story. And He doesn't give a damn about words. Words are the curtain we've hung between Him and our true selves. Try not to think about the words. Don't strain for the perfect sentence. There's no such thing. Writing is guesswork. Every sentence is an educated guess, the reader's as much as yours. Think about that the next time you curl a piece of paper into your typewriter."

Draft saved Draft deleted