1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just curious - what good Republican is still out there?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Where is the make-or-break point in this economy turning around? No matter how you answer that, you don't want to be president while we're going through this if you want to have an agenda and serve two terms.

If you believe we're screwed and that America is heading for a reckoning soon, your short-term policies aren't going to change that course fast enough. If that's your outlook, you don't want to be handed the wheel of the ship as it's full steam ahead towards the iceberg.

And if you believe we're going to pull out of this through a natural economic cycle, it seems pretty clear that cycle isn't going to be finished in the next four years. Right? The Depression was a, what, 16-year ordeal only ended by a world war infusion of demand? Best-case scenario we're talking 2020s before we're back to square, right? And that's ignoring the fact that baby boomers will be old by then.

Who wants to be Herbert Hoover? The guy who is making massive cuts in the face of suffering? Even if you feel that's the best course, who want to be that sin-eater?

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Whomever the GOP picks, he will surely defeat Obama. This damn economy will return to the white house a party I can't support.

It might be Mitt Romney who gets the nod.

"Hi, I'm Mitt Romney. In 2008 you heard many Republicans say that Barack Obama didn't have enough experience to be President. Well, that is why I am the Republican nominee for president in 2012. My years in elective office total four and ended six years ago. Barack Obama had more than a decade in continuous public office before winning the presidency. And oh, by the way, my father wasn't born in the US either."

Paid for by the Koch Brothers fund for a worse America.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Curious why you think it's a given Obama will lose. Nobody in the republican field impresses anybody, although I think most feel like Mitt is the best of the bunch.

I hope you're right, but I'm curious why you think that.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I'm with you. I think Obama will probably win. I will be very interested to hear what serious economists think of the feasibility of the two economic rescue plans that we will be presented with next summer.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Monty Brewster

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Mizzou, I just think the horrible shape of the economy will be an insurmountable hurdle for Obama. The economy is paramount (naturally) in the minds of voters and I doubt the economy would turnaround in any way before November 2012. No amount of compromising (or anti-Republican stands) will help the president.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shocker.

He had a good act going, with that schtick. Still does, without it, but it takes off a bit of the lustre.

9. So in your world view Albert Einstein didn't flee Nazi Germany or wasn't exiled. He was just a guy who got out early.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It could be 1996 all over again for the GOP.
    Incumbent ripe for defeat. Offer Bob Dole.
    Lose.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

12. printdust

printdust New Member

ohmygod.
    The economy is in shambles and you still think anti-abortion, pro-gay is the ticket regardless of what they can do to fix - fuck up the economy.

That's simply brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.