1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just call them the Nicholls State ... Nazis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's the old mascot:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the actual guy:
    [​IMG]

I don't like the new logo for one main reason. No colonel is going to be fighting with his officers cap on.
    I get that the sword is key to the logo, but trying to make a guy fighting with a sword contemporary is just wrong.
    Also don't like that it looks like it was ripped from a Frank Miller graphic novel. Nothing in the logo suggests Louisiana to me. They should just put a guy on a horse. People like horses.

2. Oh man, that's solid.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not sure how they ended up with a guy that looks like that if their target was a Confederate Civil War officer.

Still, people are looking hard for something to bitch about if they see "Nazi". I swear some people see Nazis every time they open their eyes. Soviet I definitely get, so I understand being upset about that.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too. It looks more like a Soviet commissar than a Nazi.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Nicholls State has been trying to drop "State" from its name for at least a couple of years. They've been asking broadcasters to either call them "Nicholls" or "Nicholls State University," but not "Nicholls State."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Looks like a dressy tugboat captain outside a whorehouse defending the honor of one of the employees.

(Of the whorehouse, natch.)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a tough nut to crack all the way around. Nicholls State Colonels doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, throw in a divisive history behind the namesake, and the color scheme and there isn't a lot that can be done.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Plus, it's in Thibodaux, which is a world unto itself. It's the seat of Lafourche Parish (pronounced la-FOOSH) and about as stereotypical a South Louisiana town as you'll ever find. I once worked with a girl who grew up there, and she told stories about the place and the people there that were endlessly fascinating.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I spent a year in Thibodaux one month at Saints training camp.

I keed, I keed. Thibodaux was perfectly fine, better than I expected, although I was quite tired of the Holiday Inn and the creaky elevator in the stadium by the time I left there.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bubba's II, once named best sports bar in a college town by SI, should be on the On the Road thread. We should meet there and talk about this over a few cold ones.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Once you get through the 50 miles of sugar cane fields in every direction, Thibodaux's actually a fairly nice town ...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

By "fascinating" do you mean interesting or horrifying?

Draft saved Draft deleted