1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just blowing off steam

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesnowman, Jun 29, 2009.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Long story short: Local swim team manager comes in today to drop off a schedule for the new season/bitch about last season's coverage (not her complaints of course, she's merely the messenger for the angry masses) ... then balks when I ask for contact information for any of the club's coaches. "Well what would you need that for?" she says. After extended negotiation she finally agrees to let me have the team's practice schedule as well so I can talk to the coaches in person.

Not the end of the world, the phone numbers will come, but did that really just happen? Is this what we've come to? Am I expected to always have enough time to hit the pool to talk in person with the coach of a sport that wouldn't crack the Top 20 for interest around these parts? Give me a break.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I would have had to really work from audibly sighing and rolling my eyes after the person asked why you needed the numbers.

Some folks, even when presented with a skillet and precise directions on how not to get smacked with it, need one upside the head to get it through their melons.

RB

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

after extended negotiation she let you have the practice schedule? is michael phelps one of the swimmers?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Couldn't you just say thank you for the schedule and not write anything on the club?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Thank you. Now, will you be the person responsible for getting the results to us and are you going to e-mail or fax them?"

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw that. Don't even give them a fax option.

I give folks like that the old, next year we'd appreciate a heads up about big events, story ideas, etc., in advance rather than a complaint about what we missed at the end of the season.

With a smile.

7. duckncover

duckncover Member

I will never, ever miss that part of the job. Small town sports editors, my heart goes out to you.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

On first read, I read that as "contract information," not contact. Was a little alarmed for a sec.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Two teams always suck at this time of year:

1) The swim team. 2) The American Legion baseball program.

Why? Because neither one EVER gives me a schedule. The swim team never does. The club hasn't lost a meet in seven years but they can NEVER get it through their heads that the reason I don't come and at least take a few pics is because they don't tell me when their meets are. They're supposed to host the big league meet this year. I hope it isn't scheduled for the time I'm going on vacation. But I have no idea.

The Legion program is even better. Apparently they revived the program this season. First time the Legion has put up a team in seven years. Ya think they told the sports editor they were doing that? Nope. I guess I was supposed to receive the news via mental telepathy or something like that.

But I have a major asshole nice guy telling me via e-mail each night they're supposed to play. About 2 hours before first pitch. No, that's not going to work. Sorry. Especially since I've also been the interim managing editor since late February.

What makes the situation with the major asshole nice guy even worse is that he used to work here. He should know better. But I guess he's like everyone else: This newspaper exists to serve him and I'd better be able to do so right NOW!

I wonder how many kids are losing scholarships over this?

How's that for blowing off steam? That could have powered a locomotive all the way to Cleveland! ;D

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Ma'am, if you don't give me the coaches numbers, I'm afraid we're not going to cover any of your meets. We do it for high schools, we're going to do it for you. It's our policy. If you don't want to cooperate, I'll be glad to tell the parents why nothing is in the paper when they call and complain."

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

EOT

12. bmm

bmm Member

That's when you want to say that no one gives a crap about your sport. I had a couple of parents complaining in January when I didn't go to the home prep swim meet because I had a big basketball game to cover. Another fine example is the private college with 500 folks in my community that whines why we don't come out and cover games in their gym with a handful of folks watching. Most folks - 99 percent - don't give a hoot.

Draft saved Draft deleted