1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Just because we can say anything, does that mean we must say everything?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 24, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

She wrote a pretty good book "Prozac Nation". What's her other claim to fame? I don't get the 9/11 reference.

3. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Oh, supposedly the reason the movie never saw theatrical release was because she made a comment after 9/11 about how she felt like it was some kind of strange performance art taking place, nothing real, and that she didn't feel anything, etc., etc., etc. Of course a bunch of conservative commentators flipped out about it - I mean, if you know her style to begin with, you understand that she's just being brutally honest about how it could be numbing. She called the buildings collapsing "beautiful." So of course the Hannitys of the world ran with that one. Clearly she was contrasting the ugliness of what happened with hos captivating it was to actually look at. But God forbid someone is honest about that and doesn't just say the correct patriotic thing.

Anyway ... I like "Prozac Nation" a lot, too. But just seemed kind of ironic for her to be lecturing people about saying "everything." Of course I pulled the quote out of contest.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We're all hypocrites on some level, and we should all be allowed to grow into different people than who we were when we said something true to us almost six years ago.

5. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Oh, I meant that it was ironic she would say this quote because she has made a mint writing tell-all memoirs, not that it was hypocritical because of the 9/11 thing.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As an author...

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree. But isn't it incumbant upon those who have grown and matured to comment on the past as they adjust their current thinking? Or is it that she merely applies her philosphy to those cause in which she agrees and damns those who feel otherwise?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the artistic beauty of 9/11 is a wingnut loser.

Would "the joyous juxtaposition of large wet snowflakes and bullets flying through the crisp Blacksburg morning" work too?

Even if you can justify comments like that six ways from Sunday, perhaps you'd be best to be considerate of how they can be taken. Even if that means lowering yourself to the mouthbreathers who don't get you.

Draft saved Draft deleted