1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just awful..Girl disemboweled in pool

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This was a violation of Minnesota safety codes -- having the cover off the drain. The pool should have been inspected every day and closed if the cover was missing.

State Investigates Pool Incident That Injured Girl

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There was a little boy from my hometown who drowned in a similar situation. He wasn't sitting on the drain, he got his head too close and it sucked his hair in. They didn't find him in time.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I can remember, back when that show 911 first came out, there were a few different stories about kids getting stuck by the suction in pool drains.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Yeah, saw an interview with the girl's dad on TV. This is just horrendous. Heard a story too once about an elderly lady who got rectal prolapse (just google the term...don't make me explain).

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'd rather be dead than have to not only live through that initial experience, but have to live my life without truly eating again. God bless her for fighting through this. And no, there should be no lawsuit. It's not like this is either a deliberate act or a common occurrence. Sadly, shit happens.

6. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

To quote Marvin from Die Hard 2: "I'll be damed if I clean up this mess."

7. Yes, Tucker called it a "Jacuzzi case."
    He should be scourged with barbed wire.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Just repeating a knee-jerk Republican mantra: "Those damn trial lawyers."

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was a preventable accident.
    Just like getting behind the wheel of a car when you've had too much to drink is a preventable accident.
    So of course the pool operator didn't mean for it to happen, but if they had done their damn job, it wouldn't have.
    And since it has happened in the past on numerous occasions, they could have imagined it happening. The people in Minnesota just didn't think it would happen to them.
    That is what the law types call negligence.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

As a rule, I abhor the idea of throwing lawsuits around like a beach ball. However, in this case, a lawsuit would be pretty cut and dried.

Minnesota law required a cover on the drain -- as in a not easily removed, screwed down and attached firmly drain cover. The required by law cover was missing. Someone had to unscrew that cover, they don't unscrew themselves.

I'm sure whoever removed the cover didn't intend for anything bad to happen. But that doesn't change the fact that removing the cover violated state law.

11. KG

KG Active Member

I pretty much hate kiddie pools all together. When I was a nanny, I was more comfortable with holding on to both kids in the big pool than sitting around the kiddie pool. There's just more injuries in them than you would imagine. Plus people let their guard down too much with kiddie pools.

Once when I was there with the kids I watched, the little boy (about 4 years old) was in the big pool in front of me (he's already been through two years of swimming lessons and swam like a fish) while I was in the chair with the baby sleeping in the stroller in the shade behind me. Well there was this little boy with arm floaties on and a float around his waist in the kiddie pool. He was about two and his mother was in the big pool, off and on watching him. Toddlers tend to be top-heavy, so he tumbled over head first. The problem was, he had on a float around his waist and got stuck upsidedown, IN THE WATER!

After about a total of a second, I realized that neither the mother, nor the lifeguard on the stand, or the two lifeguards just 10 feet away sitting at a table noticed what was going on. So I leaped up from my chair so fast that I'm not even sure my feet hit the ground before I got to the kiddie pool and snatched the poor, drowning kid up out of the water.

When I pulled the sobbing (thank God he was able to sob) tot out of the water, his mother finally noticed and calmly said thank you, although I don't think she even realized how close she came to losing her son forever.

She was the one being negligent, but it was because she was relying on the safety of kids splashing about in the kiddie pool. Those things are just awful! When I have kids of my own one day, the only kiddie pool they'll be playing in will be one of those plastic ones for home and it'll be in my back yard with fresh water and me in the pool with them.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Is the link broken? I couldn't get the video to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted