1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just another desker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by annoyed, Jul 8, 2006.

1. annoyed

annoyed Member

POKES posted this on the job board. Thought it might make a good discussion here. Anybody else run into this situation? Personally I've seen inside-page design and head agate monkey jobs shamelessly overhyped. Anyone been promised a supervisory role only to have it turn out to be a run-of-the-mill copy editor position?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why hell yes. The thing is, as long as it's a "supervisory position," they can put you on salary, and work you 168 hours a week if they want to. And they will want to.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Even at big shops, roles and positions can be fluid based on a given day or situation. If an adjustment seems somewhat permanent, whether it was sought or not, you need to have that formalized to protect you.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I will say this _ when I see jobs posted that are writing/desk positions, I wonder just how much is writing, and how much is desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted