1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just a FYI:

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 27, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

That's probably true, but at least give Zeke credit for seeing something in Balkman when no one else apparently did. There were people who said Balkman was not an NBA-caliber player. They were wrong and Isiah was right. Drafting seems to be his one non-playing talent.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now, now that's not fair. He's good at many things: Squeezing asses, inciting riots, running leagues into bankruptcy. He's a jack of all trades.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

4. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

having been to the suns-nets games and this game, it's hard to say which game was better.

not that i'm ready to say the knicks have turned a corner, but if they can go 3-2 on this trip. keep in mind they've played decently on the road and are facing three teams with losing records. a 3-2 mark gets it to 16-20 and then they have home games against charlotte and philly...

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yawn. When do pitchers and catchers report?

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

If you're not fascinated by this Knicks team, you're either a) DyePack, b) lying or c) an idiot.

This is the marquee franchise in the league attempting to resurrect itself from a terible stretch with a coach who no one likes and players who seemingly hate each other. Somehow, they're close, albeit in a pathetic division.

I know I'll be watching.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I caught the 4th and all 3 OTs. The Knicks really don't have an awful team. Curry can score, if not defend. Lee, Jeffries and Frye can all play defense and rebound and Frye can hit an open shot. Balkman gives a ton of effort, but he's an 8th or 9th man (at best) at this point. When you're drafting in the 20s, it's all garbage, unless you get lucky. But drafting him was like giving Eddy Curry $60 million -- Zeke overbid against a market which didn't exist.

Their problem is that if the play isn't designed for Curry, either Starbury or Crawford goes one-on-one and you are at the mercy as to whether they are hot. There is minimal motion away from the ball. Last night, Starbury played well and Crawford picked up the slack in the 2nd and 3rd OTs.

They need to try to move Francis, Richardson and Robinson to get a real 2 guard. If so, they really have a chance to win an awful division. And get Clyde away from the mike -- he's gotten worse, if that's possible.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, fat pitchers jogging on the outfield track. That's excitement.

I agree with just about all of that except trying to trade Richardson. He actually makes a real effort on defense and he's a legitimate three-point threat, both of which make him a rarity on the Knicks. All through the Larry Brown mess I maintained that the Knicks could be a 35-40 win team in the East. Their talent wasn't that bad, they just needed a coach, any coach, who wouldn't constantly shuffle the lineup and berate his players. Even if they go out West and stink it up, they're still in much better shape than they were a year ago at this time.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You're a moron if you're watching this shit.

The only reason they even have a chance is their entire division sucks. Right now, the division winner could have a record worse than at least eight other teams in the Eastern Conference.

I'd dispute the marquee franchise definition, too, except that no other team in the league seems to be able to grab that role.

Oh, and you suck, fmrsped. You suck.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So wait, if I'm not interested in watching an admittedly shitty basketball team, I'm lying or stupid?

I have that correct?

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

broadway joe -- my only problem with keeping Richardson is that I think that the combo of Lee and Jeffries do a better job at the SF position and Q is a little too big/slow to keep up with any SGs. He does hustle on defense, however. I realize that he can hit the 3, which is a skill that the Knicks really don't have from other players. But they don't seem to be in synch when he's on the floor.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They don't seem to be in sync when they have 5 players on the floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted