1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just a coincidence that this comes 8 days after RMN is put up for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tracy Ringolsby, Dec 13, 2008.

1. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/12/denver-post-publisher-says-he-needs-20-million-cut/

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Re: Just a conidence that this comes 8 days after RMN is put up for sale?

There is a special spot in Hell reserved for Singleton. I'm convinced of that.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Singleton doesn't think he'll be able to make up that $20 million with the Rocky gone - he's kidding himself. Of course there will be decline in people needed to handle advertising, but you would think the total circulation would remain somewhat stable.
    And Media News has a sneaky habit of getting employees to cut their wages and benefits just before the company buys another property.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

FWIW, Singleton's St. Paul newspaper has a no-layoff agreement with the Guild that expires on Dec. 31.

Happy Fucked Year!

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

After Deano agrees to cut his salary to $1 a year and accept fewer bonuses, then we can talk.

Or maybe he can sell one of his ranches in Colorado and put that money back into the business.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What's a conidence?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knew it. I KNEW Dean Singleton was going to pull something like this the moment he found out the Rocky was more and more likely to go under (no, I won't find the link, but I said something to this effect).

Wonder what kind of concession Dean Singleton will make? ::)

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Singleton won't buy it - not only because he's unable to borrow any more money because he's leveraged out, but also because when no one else buys it, the Rocky will likely fold.

Win-win for Singleton, which is why he's dropping this announcement at this time. Calling this man scum is an insult to scum.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Misspellings a way of life online, whether it be IM, email, chat, posts, etc. What rock have you been living under, pal?

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They already offered unpaid leaves of abscences for employees for up to six months (they'd keep their benefits).

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sam, when I said "buy", I think Singleton will "buy" the RMN for about $10,000, mainly for the name and any other rights ownership might entail. He might even get Scripps to fork over the money to allow him to buy it, provided they eat the RMN's debt.

12. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

A lot of those who took buyouts now say, "Singleton rules!!!!" Hah! People change sides, ya know!! Hah! The good guys and the bad guys (in the opinion of former journalists) look a lot alike, or converge, in the eyes of those with "encore" careers.

Draft saved Draft deleted