1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jussie's attackers: Nigerian brothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Folks like me?

Where have I ever said anything about him or the validity of his story?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL you've jumped to the what happens to his career!? portion of the conversation instead of calling out his lunacy the same way you call out Ubu's.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I didn't ask anything about his career. I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not they arrest him for filing a false police report.

Also, Jussie Smollett isn't the President of the United States.

But OK, let's call out the "lunacy."

If this is a hoax meant to garner sympathy for gay folks of color, he's done the opposite. He'll have done irreparable damage to the very cause he seeks to amplify.

And it won't matter if he's a political activist or a C-list TV guy with psychological problems - he'll go into the same historical hopper as Tawana Brawley and Duke lacrosse.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He went into full cosplay to concoct a whopper to sully President MAGA and enrich his career yet folks like you will treat him with kid gloves.

" ... he'll go into the same historical hopper as Tawana Brawley and Duke lacrosse" isn't exactly a damning indictment.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it’s all a hoax, I’d call that person real troubled. I’d have some grace there.

Good Morning America, not as much. If there’s even a hint this was BS - and by the time he went on that show, there was one - don’t put the guy on TV, for chrissakes.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How *dare* we not hold actors to the same standard as the President of the United States?

They're both entertainment positions, right?

Anyways, the whole thing was suspicious from the start but (and I know this is unimaginable for some people) it was OK to not say anything because if he faked it it would come out (and did) and if not, why be a jerk? Now that it did come out, he can go away for a good long while.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know what that means.

"folks like you" again?

Tawana Brawley and Duke lacrosse aren't a damning indictment of hoaxes?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jeez ..and you guys accused YF of whataboutism? This is as blatant an example as anything he ever put forth. You know, it ain't an either or thing, it's quite possible to be upset about both situations at once.

And both political sides can deservedly be mighty pissed about this. It was a ploy to purposely worsen racial division in this country, it makes it less likely future hate crime victims will be believed, and was a colossal waste of taxpayer money and police time and resources. Just a horrible lie in every way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Vombatus, Cosmo, qtlaw and 3 others like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Six months in prison.

That's Judge BTExpress' recommendation.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a whole raft of stuff to charge him on - false 911 call; false police report; obstruction; etc.

I wonder if they can fine him the cost of the investigation, too?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is sort of correct, so I'll apologize for the bad parallel.

It is quite possible to be as upset with one as the other.

Stoney likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only question at this point is, when do pitchers and catchers report?

Draft saved Draft deleted