1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jussie's attackers: Nigerian brothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bond set at $100,000.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Isn't that a bit steep for filing a false police report? Or are there other charges that I"ve missed?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He made bond without a sweat. So apparently it wasn’t too steep. Probably only had to put up 10% to the court which he gets back at the end

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This holiday I overheard two family members talking about a police officer in California that was killed by an illegal alien. The conversation was along the lines of “this will finally shut the left up.”

No. It’s one singular event. Just like this is a singular event. I would like to see less cherry picking of events that look better in a news cycle for the slant of news delivered.

The shooting of Michael Brown sort of falls along these lines. Black male killed by a police officer. People go nuts. It wasn’t even the big story.

The big story was when the Wash Post, I think, discovered that no one even tracks how people are killed by police officers. That is a huge holy what the ever loving fuck. The fact that no one gave enough fucks to keep track is staggering. I’ll bet they gave enough fucks to keep track of officers killed in the line of duty. That’s the story.

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Using the mail for the previous hoax is gonna screw him. That brings all kinds of federal felonies into play.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

According to reports I saw he was getting 20K an episode. If he endured some crap earlier in his life, it wasn't all that bad now.
    And I'll grant you one thing: this enough bullshit that people of color and gays have to deal with without some rich actor inventing shit.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Please stop with the Michael Brown references. Even a black attorney general and a black President concluded the claims against the cop were bogus. There were a lot more egregious cop shootings (Minnesota, Baton Rouge, Cleveland, Tulsa, Pittsburgh) than that trumped-up mess.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The reporting on this has been all over the place. Wasn't there someone with Smollett at the time? Maybe Smollett's attorneys are figuring if they go to trial and get a friendly jury they'll acquit? Certainly it could have just been a dumb idea poorly executed - a publicity stunt - it just seems like he had so much more to lose than gain.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Brit Hume deletes tweet accusing WaPo of not mentioning Smollett's arrest.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You’re missing my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted