1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury rules against Westboro cultists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They also claimed they were going to picket the Amish schoolchildren funerals, but then didn't show up.

2. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Maybe they will picket one of their own funerals after one of them gets killed while picketing a funeral for someones kid. Unless the act of picketing funerals is supposed to remove gods wrath away from them.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They promised/threatened to show up at the Virginia Tech student funerals, too. Amazingly enough, they chickened out.

4. Cracker

Cracker Guest

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Fourth Circuit overturn this. SCOTUS would almost certainly grant cert on this case since it is a fairly substantial constitutional issue.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

From the Chicago Tribune:
    Westboro Baptist Church, a fundamentalist Christian group based in Topeka, Kan., has protested military funerals across the country with placards bearing shock-value messages such as "Thank God for dead soldiers."

-- Don't the media have any responsibility for the words they use?
    Fundamentalist????
    Which of Jesus' fundamentals called for people to spew hatred the way these people do?
    From Luke 6: Just as you want others to do for you, do the same for them.
    There's a fundamental the Westboro maniacs never stop to ponder.
    Nothing about their ways indicates they are Christian. So why give them the designation?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect that phrase is used because that's what the Westboro cultists call themselves.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Being that the only basic requirement for being a Christian is the belief that Jesus is the son of God, they have the right to call themselves Christian, fundamentalist Christian, super Christian, etcetera, all they want.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If I call myself the Prince of Wales, are you going to call me that in print with a straight face?

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The "Prince of Wales" title is specifically defined. Christianity has no such specificity in who is and who is not a Christian. It is the reason that there are so damn many denominations.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

These clowns shouldn't be denied the right to free speech. Doesn't mean they can't have the shit sued out of them or get their ass beat on a daily basis though.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

How the hell do these nuts get the money to go all over the country, picketing funerals? I imagine none of them work, being that they can head out to some small town at the drop of a hat...plus, they're probably all too insane to hold down a steady job.

12. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Saw a documentary on them...all the adults study law (including one girl in her 20s who is currently a law student) and they've made a killing suing people who attack them. Seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted