1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 22, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Say the girls are the same ages as your nieces/cousins/whatever.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I was never going to tell a lie up there. Once it came time for jury selection, my number was too high for me to ever be in the mix before they picked their 12 + 1. Now I'm back at work.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can tailor this to suit your political outlook;

"I believe/disbelieve police officers more than the average citizen" - This will get you out of any criminal jury trial.

Substitute doctor for police officer and this will get you of most medical malpractice cases.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Now, here's a call-up:

2,000 called up for jury selection for the first-degree murder trial of six men accused of killing eight bikers belonging to the Toronto chapter of the Bandidos Motorcycle Club.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/591757

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My only problem with jury duty is all the waiting around and all the time they waste.
    I found the process intriguing. And, since I work nights, I was glad for the week or so to be able to have dinner with my family.
    During the interview, one of the attorneys made a crack about the political stance of my paper. I said, "I'm in sports, I don't get into the politics there." I was an alternate on a civil case.
    One funny thing I remember: During closing arguments, I knew exactly what the city attorney was going to say as I pieced together the basics of her questioning during the trial. But she got so confused during her closing she actually twisted her statements around.
    The regular panel deliberated for about 15 minutes. The decision was announced, then we were asked to wait out in the hall because the attorneys might want to ask us questions.
    The city attorney asked me something. I answered, then I told her that I knew she was going to win even though she botched her closing. She turned red. She said, "I know, I got so confused I couldn't remember what I was supposed to say." I just nodded.

Draft saved Draft deleted