1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Have fun with the trip up the pike. My number got passed over a few weeks ago.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Just make sure you show up.

If you want out of it, shout out: HANG THE BASTARD!

I had jury duty in June of last year. Showed up, waited 90 minutes before they brought us in the courtroom. Took roll call, waited another 15 minutes. Judge comes out, talks to us about how trial works, how payment works, babbles for 30 minutes when I'm sure all of us had seen "My Cousin Vinny."

Then the judge tells us that at 9 a.m., the case we were to sit on was delayed because of a family illness for one of the lawyers.

They kept us 2 1/2 hours longer for nothing. I was pissed. Missed the Price is Right and everything.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been summoned for jury duty five times in the last six years. In fact, I'm due to get another summons.

I've gotten out of three of them because you're exempted if you've been called in the last two years.

And nope, being a media member is not an exemption here. ADD: Although the chances are good you'll be politely excused during voir dire.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I was on a local jury a while back on a 30-day term. The first day they herded about 50 of us into the jury room and gave us a slip of paper with 5 or 6 dates on it. We had to call a number after 6 p.m. the night before to see if we needed to report the next day.

I had to go in three times and was on one jury on a very minor case. Still, it was interesting to see the attorneys play to the jury. The one thing I remember as we filed back in for the verdict was someone saying "nobody smile and nobody look at anybody."

What was interesting was we were paid $50 a day, so when my term was done, I got a check for $250 for the first day, the two-day trial and the two days I was called in, but didn't wind up on a jury. I don't know the way it works now, but I got paid my regular salary and got to keep the $250.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Stride into the courtroom confidently, and let the judge know you've already seen this orientation video.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Dad bitches because the court keeps sending him notices about jury duty. They haven't put him on a jury yet, but his partner's never gotten one and I've only gotten one and haven't been called in after the one notice.

The thing he said worked for him was saying "it depends" when it comes to whether or not to convict.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I recently got a questionnaire for Grand Jury duty...a little nervous about that. They take no excuses, altho I attached a letter alleging every possible excuse I could think of. Those juries can last a couple of years. We'll see.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I got a summons the other day. I have to call them every day after 5 p.m. starting at the end of March until they tell me when to show up. The letter said to plan on staying there the entire day and to pack a lunch and bring a book.
    I'd like to tell them I'd be a perfect juror because I'm psychic. Then again, it can't be any worse than work.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Although I was happy to get out of the place when I was last called for jury duty about a year ago, I wanted to stay around for the case because it was a domestic assault where the woman threatened to chop off her husband's penis.

I answered 15 minutes of questions, then they found out I was a reporter and I was quickly sent out the door.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So what happens in that case? Is your employer expected to just do without you for six months? And are they obligated to continue to pay your salary if you're not there?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The last three times I've been lucky--I checked the night before and they didn't need me.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Been called three times already.

First time was grand jury in Louisville back in 2005, but I was excused because I lived in Lexington at the time. The last two were for a rape case and a murder case. The former ended in a plea bargain before the jury was seated and I was excused from the latter when they found out I was a journalist.

FDP, I suggest bringing a book or something to read until they call your name. Then again, they may not call you and you get to leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted