1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 22, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have it tomorrow morning. I have to show up. Is there any chance I won't be there long? I've got a lot of work to do and this is very bad timing. Advice?

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was told by a professor in college that the easiest way to get out of jury duty is to tell them you are educated.

3. My wife was recently tagged for a federal grand jury. About a half-dozen questions were related to whether she or her husband worked for the media. We haven't heard back yet, but I'd be surprised if she isn't excused, considering I cover news.

My beef is this is at least the second time she's been called for jury duty and I've never been called. I would love to serve on a jury.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been called three times...

Memorize this sentence...

"I think most people who are arrested are usually guilty."

I'm 3 for 3 with that line.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your honor, I think I would be PERFECT for this jury. I can tell a criminal just like that! It's all in the distance between the eyes.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

So if they don't like you as a juror, they just let you go?

7. It all depends on who doesn't like you as a juror. If you have a valid excuse as to why you can't serve on jury duty - try to make this known with documentation before the actual day - you'll likely be excused.

If one of the attorneys strike you, there's a chance you could return to the jury pool for another trial on another day of the week.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd love to get called for jury duty. Mrs. tbf has had it twice in the almost 10 years we've been married, but I never have.

I think it might be too late for me, though. IIRC, active duty servicemembers are exempt from serving on federal cases, but not state and local juries. However, most states exempt them.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I started last week.. but I forgot until I saw this headline.. luckily, there's nothing going on and I'm simply on call through this week... so I'm writing this from my home and not jail.....damn, i need to go buy some powerball tickets.

10. Pete

Pete Active Member

You probably don't want my advice. The last time I showed up for jury duty, I was placed on a trial that lasted six months. It ended when the judge called a mistrial on our 12th day of deliberations because of "outside influence" on a juror, just as we were about to deliver a verdict. Ouch.

On a more preachy vein, though, I do genuinely believe that performing jury service is an important part of being an American citizen. It frustrates me that many people feel free to deride jurors in apparently bungled, high-profile cases/messes like Michael Jackson and Robert Blake as "dopes," yet on the other hand brag about how they always get out of jury. The attitude seems to be that only a sap would "allow" themselves to be stuck on a jury. But really, almost everyone is busy, and it never seems to be a convenient time to serve. Does that mean that juries should only consist of those without jobs and retirees?

Good luck with whatever happens.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just say you hate every race. Bingo, home for Price is Right.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And religion. That's a good one, too.

Oh, and frozen yogurt. You know, because it blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted