1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jury duty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Jun 29, 2008.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have to show up at 8 a.m. tomorrow for jury duty. The last two times I was called, I managed to get out of it before the actual court date. No such luck this time. What should I expect?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Bring a book.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sitting around for hours doing nothing

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A lot of nothing.

On the bright side, if there was a book or series of books you wanted to dig into ...

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

What he said.

I kind of like jury duty. Get paid to sit on my ass and read a book? Sure.

(I did end up on a jury once, and that kind of sucked.)

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You want to get out of jury duty and not have the judge think you're a douche? Use this tip:

When you're called into the courtroom, at some point the judge is going to bring you up as a prospective juror and will ask if you have ever served. Tell him/her you have and explain why you didn't like it.

That's my plan the next time I get called. I served back in '05 and it was terrible. Case went two weeks where everyone in the room (including the guy's lawyer) knew he was guilty. There was an extreme amount of evidence, tons of witnesses and the guy had a checkered past. On the final day, dude didn't even show up for the verdict. Deliberation took all of 30 minutes.

I love my country, but that was atrocious. I'm never voluntarily doing that crap again.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

take a reporter's notebook and tell the judge you're going to write a column on the experience and you want to be sure to spell his or her name right.

8. After years of covering courts, I would give my left nut for serving on a jury. Never happened.

My wife was called once but as soon as she told the attorney (who I knew) that she was my girlfriend, he winked at her and told her she was excused.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wish I would have brought a book, but I don't understand trying to get out of it. Every citizen should do it. I got called, but then my case was settled the night before the trial was supposed to start.

10. That happened to me, thankfully, but I wasn't on the jury ... I had been subpoenaed over my notes.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Look on Jonesy's China thread, RE: No. 7...

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is that considered sporting goods in China?

Draft saved Draft deleted