1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Junior..there's no way....NO WAY.....that you came from my loins"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

The original Smokey and the Bandit was on Starz 410 at 1AM this morning, and the kid happened to be awake. (for some reason, we all decided to take an early evening nap, and mamachef was upstairs watching some HGTV rubbish)..... I'm laughing like hell, so he comes downstairs to the Chef's lair, he snuggled up to me, and the first time Buford calls Junior a "tick-turd", this had my 8-year old boy rolling in hysterical laughter.

What was the first movie you remember watching as a kid that you learned new words from?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not a movie, but I remember learning the word "frustrated" from I Love Lucy when I was 8.

My mother was shocked I knew what that word meant. She was like, "what are they teaching these kids in these schools?"

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Shoot ... "tick-turd" had me laughing just now.

4. I always thought it was tit-turd

5. I remember when Debbie Dart dared me to say "F***K in second grade. I said it. She blushed and laughed.

It wasn't til I got home and asked dear old mom what F**K means that I got the shit slapped out of me. I got the idea it wasn't a word for family consumption.

Movies ... Godfather. 12 years old ... When Sonny's banging the bridesmaid against the door. I looked at my mom next to me. She was white as rice. Gave me the idea that was a new experience for her, too.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't remember the first movie I learned new words from, but regarding Smokey & the Bandit, there's no way anybody could have done a better job at playing Sheriff Buford T. Justice than Gleason did.

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

"First thing I do when I get home is punch your mama in the mouth."

Fucking hysterical. One of my favorite movie quotes of all time, perfectly delivered.

Screw Wayne Gretzky -- Jackie was "The Great One."

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Daddy, it's a football game! Can we stay and watch?

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I remember learning what "necking" was from ... wait for it ... wait for it ...

[​IMG]

whilst watching One Day at a Time.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In first grade, I made the mistake of repeating a line from a TV show to a teacher. I quickly learned saying "I don't give a damn" is not a good thing, as the principal actually washed my mouth out with soap.

That was the last time Mom and Dad watched "All In The Family" with me in the room.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"I'm gonna barbecue yo ass in molasses!"

That's the line that had me falling off the couch laughing when I first saw it.

The scene with Gleason and Reynolds at the diner was classic also.

BTW, it's good you saw that on Starz, because watching that movie on free TV sucks with the terrible dubbing, and the banishment of words that aren't even forbidden on TV anymore.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, the whole exchange popped into my mind as soon as I read the thread title. It has been way too long since I watched this one.

Regarding Chef's question, I can't remember a specific incident in which I learned profanity from television. Then again, I have a very clear memory of hearing my father say "fuckers" for the first time when I was four years old, so I learned most of the dirty words when I was pretty young. Any I might have missed, I got from watching Carlin at Carnegie when I was 12.

I do remember when I was very young (four or five) learning what the word, "wounded" meant while watching an old Godzilla movie on a Sunday morning. Godzilla was the villain in that one, with some heroic flying turtle (I shit you not) trying to save Japan from his latest rampage. At one point Godzilla was winning and they said the turtle was wounded. I thought he was dead. I refused to leave the house until my mother explained to me what wounded meant and that the turtle would be ok.

I remember this because the place I was refusing to go was Three Rivers Stadium for a Steelers game. This was right in the middle of the dynasty of the '70s. I think my parents were considering therapy at that point. (Which might explain a lot).

Draft saved Draft deleted