1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junior hockey team's bus involved in crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 7, 2018.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Babcock had an understandably tough time talking about it this morning.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When I first heard about the crash, I envisioned s place like what I've seen on Highway Thru Hell. It doesn't look anything like that. Looks very flat and it happened at around 5:30, which is guess is during daylight. I don't know much about that area but I wonder how it could have happened.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Mechanical issue? Someone texting or on the phone?

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, Lindy. Brain fart. Inexcusable for a Sabres' fan.

6. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

You were probably thinking of Lindy Regier.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you guys get that show down there?

I drive that once a month, it’s awful but not quite as bad as you see on tv. I also know the owners who they focus on.

I can’t tell you how much this hurts me, I don’t know anybody directly affected but I rode busses and know countless people that did and still do. I honestly can’t let myself think about it.

Fly likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Anyone know how it happened yet? Did the truck driver run a stop sign, or something else?

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The only thing I've seen is that the driver has not been detained and has been offered mental health assistance.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don't know how someone could ever get over something like this.
    You would not be able to not think about it every day. I hope it was neither driver's fault, if that's possible.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There was a Twitter post earlier today that purported to be the intersection where it happened. Their story was the truck would have had a stop sign but would have also been partially obstructed from seeing oncoming traffic by a grove of large pine trees. This isn't the post I was thinking of, but it has the intersection in question:

This is a picture of the aftermath of the wreck. Looks like the front of the bus may have taken the direct impact. It appears to be pretty well destroyed:

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just a horrible, horrible situation. I have often thought about how much more difficult it is traveling in winter, or in bad weather, and having these big vehicles -- trucks and busses -- on the highways.
    (I "replied" because I didn't think clicking "like" would be appropriate.)

Smallpotatoes and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted