1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junior hockey coach drops an F-Bomb on reporter(s).

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NathanFournier87, Oct 23, 2014.

1. The Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League lost 7-2 last night to the Saulte Ste. Marie Greyhounds (One of the league's best teams) and Sudbury's coach wasn't a happy camper.

http://www.local2.ca/ssm/viewarticle.php?id=16118

Neate Sager of Yahoo Canada has some background info on what may have caused thecoach to lose his cool. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/sudbury-wolves-coach-paul-fixter-drops-f-bomb-on-journalist-after-latest-loss-152026979.html#more-id.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, when reporters shove a mic in a coach's face and give statements as "questions" or say, "talk about your team tonight."

3. The reporter was a clown. Ask a damn question. It's not that difficult.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

God, imagine if today's climate of media were around for when Mike Milbury was coaching the Bruins.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Reporter should not have raised his voice the first time. It's unprofessional.

6. Where was the PR person? Somebody should have stepped in and cut this off. That being said the reporter didn't ask a question, but it didn't warrant the F bombs.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Typically I'm a huge advocate of "ask a proper question, don't give commands or make statements" but the coach acted like a real prick here. Be a professional goes both ways.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Agreed. Doesn't excuse the coach's behavior, but the reporter has to be above that. You can't play a part in a coach meltdown.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Unless your Brooksie and the coach is Torts. Then it's expected.

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Send him to interview John Brophy. Guy could use the f-word in one sentence as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb and, I swear, a pronoun.

11. dieditor

dieditor Member

Yep. I think he got the exact reaction to his "question" he was looking for.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So how long til Fixter is canned?

Draft saved Draft deleted