1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

June Jones resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

BSU's Petersen comes in right about $1 mil a year.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Am I the only one stunned that a WAC coach makes that much?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just for the hell of it:

[​IMG]

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

::) Because, of course, it's impossible for either Honolulu paper to scoop the AP on anything happening in Honolulu.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, they're using Honolulu stuff, including the latest update about the offer. And again, it certainly could be spin, to try/not really try to keep him. But at this point, the thread's hed is not officially true.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think he can have some success at SMU. He'll bring his crazy offense with him, recruit a bunch of second-tier wide receivers and sling the ball all over. Will he win a national title? Of course not. But I can see him winning 8 or 9 games in C-USA. Why not?

Think Texas Tech. Think, for that matter, USF, with its second- and third-tier recruits. Of course, the admission standards will be higher, but it certainly seems as though the school is willing to let a lot of things slide to get back to prominence. And, well, it's not like there's not a history of that sort of thing.

And at this stage, high-school age players weren't even alive at the time of the death penalty. They weren't even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. They might not know about the good ol' days, but they also don't know about the bad ol' days.

And much like the Hawaii job, there's no expectation of success, so any success makes him look like a genius.

8. homie...SMU is offering between $1.7 and $2 million and I'm sure some additional incentives. Orsini, the AD, has raised about $10 million for a new coach...never underestimate the power of rich alums no matter how shitty the program is now. SMU was once a proud program and probably can be again, but they are going to have to come up with less stringent academic standards if they want to compete recruiting-wise with just mid-major schools. Playing at SMU aint all bad...the facilities are nice as hell and Dallas is a fun place to be.

9. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

This is a lateral move for JJ, the WAC is better than C-USA, but SMU is going to give more $$$ to Mr. Pass-happy, so who can blame him.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This IS what got the school in trouble 20 years ago. Hopefully, SMU won't fall back into that trap.

11. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

And JJ likes thugs straight from prison, so this will be a tough task.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I strongly disagree with the assertion that the WAC is better than CUSA. The WAC has benefitted from having two teams run through undefeated seasons because the bottom of that league is a complete and total joke and about 3 or 4 of the teams shouldn't even be playing D1A football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.