1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

June Jones resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Recruiting at Hawaii is a joke and he knows that. He needs to understand that SMU sucks and will suck and there's too many other good schools in Texas and it's not even worth his time to go there.

He needs to get back to the NFL...Even though I hate the prick...

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But how much can you save by losing a staffer that can't help the program except in that particular capacity - on top of the fact that the recruiting budget is reportedly all of $50,000?

I get your point, Wick - and agree - but for a program that strapped for cash, I would seriously doubt the validity of pulling this off.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can break down film anywhere, as long as it's e-mailed to you. Maybe someone who also serves as a video assistant.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

First off, AP is not reporting that Jones is gone. And the recruiting thing is so overrated. As long as you have a cell phone and some charm, you can talk a lot of kids into playing football in paradise. So $50,000 isn't the killer it would be for other programs.

5. Sam Mills 51

If Hawaii were willing to pay an assistant this kind of money, would it tighten belts this severely on recruiting budgets?

Given this ridiculous set of circumstances, easier to funnel the odd penny or two to the head coach and make it more his headache. Which June Jones apparently accepted during his stay on the islands.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dools, most top I-AA teams have higher recruiting budgets than that. Don't downplay something that is a serious issue. A lot of parents aren't going to let their kids go play for somebody that they've never met.

7. Sam Mills 51

... in many cases, almost halfway around the world, to boot.

8. dooley_womack1

Shit, there are a helluva lot more important issues in the world than Hawaii's recruiting budget. All in all, Hawaii has done decently year after year, and if the school has other priorities than breaking the bank for the football team, it's their call; they don't have a fricking duty to become SEC-luxurious.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No one's saying that. It is interesting that they're passive-aggressively offing the coach who has brought their program a modicum of respect, though.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I give Jones credit. He at least cared about his assistants. His assistants didn't get paid dick, so he gave each one of them like 12K each. He didn't have to, but felt they deserved it.

11. dooley_womack1

The latest from AP says that Hawaii has offered him a contract that would make him the highest-paid WAC coach. Maybe they're just trying to save face and hope that Jones will take the home-islands discount instead of taking an SMU offer they can't/won't match.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Pat Hill is the highest paid in the WAC, coming in at 1.22 million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.