1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

June Jones resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Didn't see this anywhere.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Jan/05/br/br8654291370.html

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Before he's even offered the SMU job? Something's up.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's so oddly written, I first wondered it it was a prank site.

I guess not.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He hasn't officially resigned (or at least so says the Hawaii AD). He's told friends that he intends to resign, and his agent says he has an offer on the table from SMU.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

devil on jones' shoulder: well, that's it. you've done the equivalent of hawai'i's national championship appearance, and you were rightfully nuked thereafter. you ain't making the BCS again. SMU will have more $$$. SMU will apparently be making a commitment to football again, so you've got better facilities, a better recruiting base, better boosters, etc.

angel on jones' shoulder: so? you can retire here. this program doesn't know shiate without you. you can spend your days playing BS competition and occasionally backing your ass into a decent bowl (only to get destroyed once again), and they'll love you. your guys do the ha'''''''a dance, or whatever! that's awesome. they love that. it's so pretty here. it's so nice. c'mon, win some more hawai'i bowls, occasionally nab a mainland bowl, everything's good.

so there's your conflict. live your days in gleeful (and ESPN-pole-smoking) mediocrity, or do something that could possibly be better. honestly, i'd go with the angel. but it would appear june's going with the devil.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dumb move. He'll never be able to do half as much at SMU as he can do at Hawaii.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Jones resigned this morning, citing among other things a lack of loyalty and commitment from athletic department leaders.

Like a job that would pay 1.2 million more per year?
    Stop playing the victim for once, and I might actually understand why you bolt.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This HAS to be connected to the SMU job, doesn't it?

Doesn't it?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There's something else at play here.

When you essentially let a guy walk, a guy who has single-handledly resurrected your program, that says something.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Because you know you can't afford him anymore.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hawaii has some serious issues in its athletic department. Ask Colt Brennan. He slammed them before the season started for the filthy conditions of the weight room and practice facilities.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

His contract expires in a few months. They apparently didn't even make an offer before this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.