1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

June 6 The Longest Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But in the end, it was only slightly more difficult than Grenada. And, he didn't finish the job by marching straight into Bahgdad

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tactically that's bad because, in addition to ceding the element of surprise, even for five minutes, then you have our troops having to comb over the bomb damage. Would slow them down (it was hard enough to gain ground given the topography), give the enemy time to organize, and counter-strike. A mistake made repeatedly in World War I (not with bombers, but with artillery) that no one wanted to repeat.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A thousand times this.
    As for Bush 1, I'm pretty sure the other politicians prevented him from going to Baghdad.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hey, I'm a Navy vet ... I'm all about some shore bombardment ... don't know nothing about climbing over bomb craters!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why did he need to march to Baghdad to finish the job?

The goals of war were met. Was not worth putting our troops
    at further risk.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Someone advocating marching into Baghdad as a definition of military success? That's someone who missed a really long war somewhere along the line.

7. Awesome!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2650882/D-Day-veteran-89-reported-missing-care-home-staff-told-travel-France-Normandy-escaping-joining-friends.html

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it helps when 97 percent of the world is behind what you're doing --- if not actually fighting alongside you --- instead of saying "What the fuck are you doing? This is NONE of your concern."

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And officially you did not have The UN to screw things up.
    The democrat party had not yet become the anti war party.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That is awesome.

11. Lamest hyperbole I heard on radio today was, "The soldiers were so close, they could smell the schnitzel on the Germans' breath."

The purple prose is especially overdone for war stories, which is not needed for D-Day. It was hell. Do not let language get in the way when telling stories.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

It was planned, but D-Day was too cloudy for bombers to see the beaches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.