1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

June 6 The Longest Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting article by Michael Beschloss on why Ike did not celebrate D Day

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/20/upshot/why-ike-wouldnt-celebrate-the-d-day-anniversary.html

"Had President Eisenhower been surrounded by some latter-day political image-makers, they might have implored him to make the most of the occasion. (“Mr. President, let’s remind Americans of what you achieved in 1944! Sir, your party is having some problems with the midterms this fall — it would help if we could boost your approval numbers!”)

Had anyone dared to offer Ike such gratuitous advice, however, he would have had them expelled from the Oval Office. Pointedly he did not visit Normandy or stage a White House ceremony to extol his own leadership."

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Unless you were one of the men coming off a landing craft or out of an airplane, I don't think you can truly comprehend what those people went through that day. I'm certain most of us don't even want to imagine. The first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan gives us a glimpse, but it's still not real. I salute and weep for those who died and live.

As for the difference in Europe/Pacific, a lot of comes down to fighting the Germans and rolling victoriously into major cities was sexy whereas blowing the Japanese off one nameless, swamp filled island only to move on to the next didn't have the same appeal.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The "Round Number" anniversaries get a lot more attention here than the crooked number ones.

I'm surprised it isn't a bigger deal in Canada.

4. Boom_70

Agreed. No way to comprehend. Can't imagine what it was like when the gate
    opened on those landing crafts.

Saving Private Ryan certainly was a great tribute to that group. I remember the
    first time I watched it in theater. The movie ended and no one got up. You could hear
    faint weeping all over the theater.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Part of the failure to celebrate to victory over Japan as the Eurpoean Victory is celebrated is the atomic bomb. You cant celebrate the use of the bomb, you can respect it or not, appreciate it or not, be thankful for the American lives it saved but to celebrate it like D-Day is unseemly. At least politically and in the media

6. Shoeless Joe

One thing I have never understood is why five minutes before the landing began they didn't have every American and British heavy bomber fly over and blow the German gun emplacements to oblivion. It seems the paratroopers and naval bombardment focused on the bigger guns that were a few miles inland. We had been bombing the hell out of Germany and France for two years. It seems as if they could have sent a thousand planes over to flatten the cliff machine gun bunkers.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Coming back to this...it doesn't get the level of celebration that D-Day does, but I'd say Iwo Jima is your corresponding Pacific image.

8. Boom_70

I always heard that they bombed Calais as diversionary tactic in hope
    that The Germans would amass their forces there making it easier
    for the Normandy landing .

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The bombers were used to isolate the battlefield by cutting transportation routes. The naval bombardment was much shorter than what had become SOP in the Pacific, although gunfire by destroyers was a big factor in getting off of Omaha Beach.

10. Shoeless Joe

Yeah, I believe that is correct in the days leading up to it, but I mean literally in the minutes leading up to the invasion ... the bombers flying overhead as the landing crafts were headed to the beach. By that time, there wouldn't have been any question what was happening.

11. D-Day was it. If D-Day failed who knows what happens?
    Best case scenario the war goes on for another 5, 10 years. Worst case ... We are all speaking German and Jews are something we read about in our Nazi-inspired history books.

It was The pivotal moment of the war. V-E and V-J were the end.
    Even Iwo Jima - if it fails - isn't as important as D-Day.

12. Boom_70

It's a good question. They other theory I've heard is that the bombs were not
    accurate in that day. We're now conditioned on precision bombing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.