1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junction City (Kan.) Daily Union is open again

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kamikaze021, Dec 22, 2012.

1. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Junction City, Kansas is back open after the ME let the last person they hired in sports go after three months. That is a revolving door. Unless you are unemployed, like I was a while back, you don't want to work there on wages alone (I was $10.25 an hour in news and now back in sports at a place where I make almost $14). The sports editor before the one they fired said he wouldn't work on weekends and they let him get away with it until he quit in August. Plus, Junction City went down to a three-day a week publication during the summer and the readers still isn't happy about it. Finances are horrible for finding a place to live there as well, considering it's a military town. I ended up living in a hotel for a year because it was cheaper. As I said in the September post, unless things have changed, the pay is more towards the $20K range than $25K and they pay weekly, not bi-weekly, which makes it tough to save money.

It looks like they also lost their page designer as well.

Company: The Daily Union
    Position:
    Sports writer/reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    January 21, 2013
    Job ID: 1456984

Description:

>>
    >> The Daily Union in Junction City, Kan., is seeking a full-time sports writer/reporter. Responsibilities will include covering all sports at local high schools, youth athletics, feature writing, some news writing, sports photography and some page design. We publish three days a week and our focus is local sports, but we also utilize AP copy and photos for our college and professional level coverage. The ideal candidate will have strong reporting, writing and photography skills, be a self starter and have some page design knowledge or the desire to learn how to create amazing pages.
    >>
    >> We also engage readers across a variety of platforms and all staff members are required to write for the newspaper and website as well as utilize social media to promote The Daily Union. This position requires evening work most nights and some weekend work when there are games to cover. This is a great opportunity for a young journalist looking to learn how to best perform multiple tasks in the newsroom. Those seeking a strong community newspaper and to learn from experienced editors who have been sports reporters and editors before should apply.
    >>
    >> Junction City is a community made up of 23,000 residents and is at the door of Fort Riley in Kansas’ north-central Flint Hills. The Daily Union offers a competitive compensation package including medical/dental insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and 401(k). Please email resume and three writing samples to managing editor Lisa Seiser at m.editor@thedailyunion.net.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I guess I don't see how paying weekly vs. bi-weekly has anything to do with saving. How much are you going to save on 20K, anyway? Making that kind of pittance, I would think being paid weekly is a good thing.

3. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Not if your weekly check is about $100 less than the amount of your rent and they charge $100 for a late fee.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It just forces you to budget differently. I've been at places that paid weekly and others that only paid once a month. For me, monthly was much harder because of the tendency to spend too much early in the month. Really forces one to be disciplined (not a bad thing).

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So? I guess I don't understand how, if you make X a month, it makes a difference in whether you're paid X, X/2 or X/4 monthly. X doesn't change, nor does when your rent is due. So what does it matter if it takes a whole check, part of a check or whatever to pay rent?

I'm with Mark 2010 on the monthly thing -- I'd think that would require far more discipline than X/2 or X/4. I just don't see the downside of being paid weekly, unless you have to physically drive to the bank and make a deposit.

6. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

I just found that X2 is easier when it comes to paying rent, electricity, etc. When your rent is $500 and your weekly check after taxes is a little over $300, then that means you can only spend $100 for two weeks on everything else.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well of course they isn't. Now they have to go around all the time asking "Dude, when's Junction City on again?"

Draft saved Draft deleted