1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jumping ship worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zman82, Feb 12, 2007.

1. zman82

zman82 Member

Trying to get some popular opinion from you wise men and women out there in the journalism world. Would it be killing my aspirations of getting to a major metro (considering the state our profession is in, I know it's an amusing prospect) if I left small daily (sports) to become managing editor of a weekly in a metro area? Obviously the pay would have to be worth the move, but all in all, I just wanted some input from you vets out there. And just in case you're curious, I've been in the biz more than 5 years but less than 10.

2. No. Take the management position. It will help you in the long run, even if it's at a weekly (assuming you do well).

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Go to law school.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would say that it would depend upon what you feel you could accomplish there. If you have bad resources and a publisher who won't allow you to improve the product, you won't be able to show what you can do and you will be made to look like a small-timer. If, however, the product is not so good and you will be permitted to make improvements, especially visually* (sorry, DyePack's ghost), then you will have tangible before-and-after copies of the paper to show future prospective employers.

* while I don't believe this will help the business, it is more tangible to an outsider than claiming that you improved coverage.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you can move from news to sports and back again, especially in management.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

so basically, if i don't have a micro-manging boss and produce a quality product the move should work out for me in the long run?

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes. It could....a lot of it's up to the situation -- and you.

8. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Not to jack your thread, zman, but I had a similar question:

I'm currently the SE of a weekly paper of about 90,000, and have been offered the job as a sportswriter at a daily paper of about 20,000. The pay is a few grand more, but my question is similar to zman's: my aspiration is to get to a major metro and write sports there, so would this move be beneficial for me, or would it not really help at all?

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Weekly has a 90K circ? I would take the gig at the 20K daily. You can build clips on a continuous basis and probably get more editing.

10. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Thanks. Yea, we cover an area of 1.3 million people.

Draft saved Draft deleted