1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July is American Beer Month

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 1, 2006.

1. Have your Canadian beer today to celebrate Canada day but remember that July is American Beer Month (and also National Hot Dog Month).

http://www.americanbeermonth.com/

My favorite local American brew is Wachusett Country Ale (as well as Wachusett Blueberry - don't laugh the stuff is great). What's the best local beer in your neck of the woods? Near the end of the month we'll have a poll on the best local brews.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Best local brew -- Moose Drool

Favorite microbrew sold here -- Fat Tire

3. Fat Tire is a favorite of mine. I'll have to give Moose Drool a chance if I ever see it on tap.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You'll have to come to Western Montana for that. I'm fairly sure that it isn't sold elsewhere. Good stuff though.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'll have a few Turbo Dogs tonight to celebrate.

6. Leave a couple for me.
    And Leinekugel's Original, too.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Gotta try that Fat Tire sometime ... y'all mention it a lot!  The only American beer I've really enjoyed were some microbrews at the Pearl Street Grill in Buffalo this winter.

But that says more about how many non-commerical American beers I've tried than the quality of American beer.  :-\

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

I'm going from NY to LA next month. Where are good places to find some quality local/regional beers?

9. If you go to LA and see Karl Strauss on tap -get some in your belly!!

10. http://www.karlstrauss.com/

I'm sold.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

My local fave is whatever I decide to brew ;)

Currently I have a nice Belgian Abbey-style Dubbel that's quite good, along with Mrs. Fly's tasty, slightly smoky Edinborough Ale. I'm getting ready to bottle a nice malty Irish Red tomorrow, and have an English BarleyWine in the secondary fermenter (I figure that one should be good and ready in about six or seven months). Next up will be a Pale Ale or IPA..I have some Columbus and Chinook hops looking for a home.

Commercially? I like pretty much anything coming out of Founder's Brewing Company (Grand Rapids, MI...fave is Dirty Bastard Scottish), New Holland BC (Holland, MI...fave is Dragon's Milk Oak-Aged Strong Ale) and DragonMead (Warren, MI...fave is Sir William's ESB).

I'm heading to three beer festivals in the next six weeks (Peterborough, ON next weekend, Michigan Brewer's Guild July 22 and Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison August 12) so I'm sure I'll have some new faves and more ideas for cookin' up some tasty brews.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Regional brews from New England ... Harpoon IPA (Seattle AND New Hampshire), anything from Boston Beer Works, Sea Dog Blueberry/Raspberry Wheat/Hazelnut Porter (Topsham, Maine) ...

Draft saved Draft deleted