1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 23rd, 2007 - It's a great day Steeler fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Back to topic. If you have been born into the Steeler nation like myself, you know that they change coaches about as often as Bush changes hairstyles. So to see that the Steeler coach for at least the next 5-10 years is mending fences with current players is a nice sign. Grimm and Wisen leaving did leave a bad taste in some players' months (Faneca) even though it was no fault of Tomlin.

Was that better Buck? No we's. Not even a Michelle Wie.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But why say we? You don't work for the team. They don't pay you.

3. 93Devil

I do not want this to sound like a cliche, but growing up in Pittsburgh during the 70s made me feel like a part of the team. I have lived in Phoenix, DC and NY, and none of those cities have the relationship the Steelers have with the city of Pittsburgh.

During my wife's first visit to Pittsburgh, she mentioned to me that she had never seen so many people wearing team stuff in her life. Everyone was. Kids, seniors, black, white, men women could be seen everywhere. And it was only Wednesday.

Does anyone say we when they root for their Alma Mater?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not me.

I grew up in Cleveland. Everything you saw in Pittsburgh, I saw in Cleveland with the Browns. I NEVER called them we. Not even when I was 10.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I grew up 10 minutes away from Shea Stadium. I spent my formative years at Shea watching the Mets, at MSG watching the Rangers, and I went to St. John's for college. And I sure as shit don't say we when I refer to those teams.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Steelers have a special relationship with their fans, I understand. It's based in history and community and shared success. A lot of it.

But no different than the Packers do with their fans -- I know, because I'm one of them. No different than the Bears do with their fans. No different than diehard Giants or Eagles or Redskins fans, either.

No different than Red Sox or Yankees or Dodgers fans. No different than Cardinals fans. No different than the good breed of Cubs fans (hi Doc! :D).

You're still not part of the team. You're just not.

You never will be.

You're not "we." Period.

7. 93Devil

Browns just seemed cursed. I really thought they were going to challenge in the North, but they just cannot seem to get things together.

This all said, it seems like they had another hell of a draft. But they always sem to have a good draft. They just can't get the wins.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I guess I'll just have to wait to see how they do.

9. 93Devil

I'm just saying this for the sake of argument.

If fans are not part of a team, then I'm guessing it would be just as easy to play at Heinz Field with 50 or 75 people in the stands than it would be with a packed house?

Are the fans making a difference in what is going on down on the field? Are they a factor in the game?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM PART OF THE TEAM!

Having an effect doesn't make you part of the team. Sorry. I have an effect on a restaurant's bottom line. I don't call the waitstaff 'we.'

11. 93Devil

Is it the job of a writer to make the fan feel like they are part of the team?

When you write a game story, are you just giving the facts, or are you trying to give angles that make the reader feel like they are part fot he team and a member of the locker room?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

[​IMG]

This little guy went we, we, we, all the way home.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted