1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1995

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake from State Farm, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Soldier Field was the last show. We had tickets and go to the gate to get in but the gatekeeper said the seat numbers on the tickets didn't exist so he walkie-talkied someone, then went to talk to someone in person, then came back and told us to follow him ... which we did ... onto the field ... center ... about 20 rows from the stage. An hour earlier while we were selling Snapple -- which is how we bankrolled much of the road trips -- one of the roadies who was severely parched thanked us for a few freebies by giving us half of a fat J that he said one of the band members had smoked before putting it out. We smoked it. In retrospect we should have framed it. Good times.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Woody Long and justgladtobehere like this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Great story.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

We were supposed to have a big blowout party on Belle Isle this weekend commemorating the 25th anniversary of the strike but coronavirus put a stop to that
    Instead, strikers are having a Zoom meeting tonight and hopefully, the celebration will be held next year

4. Jake from State Farm

This was our first paper
    Hopefully we’ll be able to get together next year B0C8663A-D61E-447C-A01F-1C44CA8B8535.png

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Jake, kudos to you and the others who dug in against Gannett. You did make a difference, even though the newspaper business has gone way downhill since then. Management, technology and the economy are the reason, not workers.

We may have even crossed paths. At some point in 1995 ... in August or September? ... there was a weekend rally in support of the various unions that went on strike. I and a few of my co-workers at a chain of suburban weekly newspapers in Chicago took up a collection and brought it with us to a rally, somewhere near Tiger Stadium.

Don't remember much about the rally except a big crowd, union hall and (afterward) stopping at a Big Boy in Ann Arbor on our way home.

Oh, and I still have a Sunday Journal that I purchased that day.

6. Jake from State Farm

Thanks
    One time we were joined on the picket line by some pressmen from the New York Daily News, who had a strike of their own
    One said to me: “Did you ever take any boxes and throw them on the river?
    “We did.”

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Late to the thread, but at first I thought the title was July 13, 1985 ... the date of Live Aid.

8. Jake from State Farm

27th anniversary today
    It was my day off but I went downtown and shook hands with the managers I wouldn’t be seeing for a while
    Then I went to the Anchor Bar and waited for 6 pm, when the strike began
    The thing I’ll never forget is the sky, which was a color I’ve never seen before or since
    Streaks of orange mixed with blue and clouds
    An eerie touch to a day that changed my life

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Obv K-R/Gannett folk were calling the shots, but what was the mood among the salaried types knowing what was about to happen?

10. Jake from State Farm

They were caught in the middle
    We had better health care than they did
    A lot of times they would stop and talk to us on the picket line
    Bad situation for everybody

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure how much of a difference it made, but I’m still glad our suburban Chicago chain of weekly newspapers took up a collection and brought it over to Detroit a month or so later.

It was a teachable moment for me, as a young journalist, about both unions and the coming changes in the newspaper business.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Somewhere about that time, there were two big heat waves in the Midwest. I happened to visit right in between them where the temperature was a very civilized upper-80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted