1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1995

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake from State Farm, Jul 13, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why wasn't Bonds in the union?

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He may have just opted out of the licensing arrangement. Whatever he did, he wanted to license his own likeness and keep all the money rather than just get his 1/750 or so cut from MLBPA licensing fees.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Didn't Jordan opt out of games like NBA Jam?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Correct. IIRC, it got to the point where he wasn't listed by name on the All-Star Game ballot, just as "San Francisco left fielder."

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Friggin' Falco.
    1_HVwnv4pDiwYPy8CLEHmzrg.jpeg

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Detroit Sunday Journal was honored by the Michigan Labor Press at its June meeting in Onaway, Mich., at the UAW's Black Lake retreat
    The paper published weekly from 1995-98 during the Detroit Newspaper Strike
    Jake, who was the sports editor, is third from the left

62532377_10218254407580612_9045103449229754368_o.jpg

7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I
    Shit, intentional talk is the worst show on mlb network, but I still watch occasionally. No more. He’s a big reason it sucks anyway.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Intentional Talk is not worse than High Heat.

Liut and Fred siegle like this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

My life changed forever 24 years ago today. I'll never forget the orange and purple sky that greeted us as we walked out the door. At the time the strike seemed like it would last forever but if I die tomorrow, I know I have accomplished something in my life because of the stance I took.

10. Dude, pull up your socks!

;)

micropolitan guy, studthug12 and Liut like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7/13/95 was 4 days after the last Grateful Dead concert -- I was there, unbelievable seats we got last second. I was living in Iowa City at the time. Within a week of July 13 I got a job offer to work at a small daily newspaper in northern New England (edit: and) a few weeks later I was on the way there. It began the second half of my life.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Woody Long likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was that St Louis? I was at Soldiers Field a few days before with bad seats. I have been to four or five Dead shows and either I don't remember large parts or the shows were forgettable to me. I don't care for attending live shows so take it for what that's worth.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted