1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1977: Where were you when the lights went out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We were in the middle of our summer vacation when it happened. Even though I lived in the midwest I still remember that being a big news summer for NYC - blackout, Son of Sam, Bronx Zoo, etc.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was 4 at the time. No memory, other than thinking that subways and buses with graffiti on them looked kind of cool.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was on the west coast then, so I just got to watch it on TV. We did get evacuated because of a brush fire a few weeks later though, so we had our own disaster.

I remember the big '60s blackout though. We didn't have AC though, so it didn't suck any worse than usual.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was a riot when Carson barged onto the CPO Sharkey set when Rickles broke his cigarette box (wow, that's an anachronism, at least on TV)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let's see..
    I would have been 15, still living in Detroit and delivering the News -- including the Tiger at the end of the street, Ron LeFlore.
    I would have been playing street football with my buddies, getting my ass kicked at pool by Gary Gettinger. Must have lost like 30 Slurpees that summer. Got my learners permit that summer, so I would have been taking drivers ed.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wait. You were Ron LeFlore's paper boy!?!?!? Shit, if I had known that I would have been MUCH nicer to you all this time on the board!

You know, in July, 1977 we were about a year away from the greatest made-for-TV spectacle every produced, One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story, in which Billy Martin played himself and acting giant Levar Burton delivered a performance for the ages as the troubled youth who rose from prison to star for the Tigers. PLEASE tell me you were an extra in the movie? Were you?

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I did a book report for school on that LeFlore book.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Naw... but I have drank at the Lindell AC...

Remember it vividly... The Gausses sold the house at 10448 Somerset to him and I came running home... "MOM, MOM! There's a Detroit Tiger moving in down the street!"
    Who is it?
    "Ron LeFlore!"
    Buh... buh... buh... isn't he ... black?

Ahhhh, race relations in Detroit in the mid-70s were so wonderful. If you hadn't planned on leaving, Coleman Young's election sent families running to the burbs...

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was 4 and living in Maryland. No idea what I was doing. I can't even remember that far back.

10. JackS

JackS Member

OK, now that's some solid, albeit morbid, humor.

You got a laugh in this corner.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not even close to being born. They didn't call me "Doogie" in the last shop for nothing!

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I was 7, living in Owosso, Mich., and probably watching CPO Sharkey. I loved that show. And the fact that we've got an attempted CPO Sharkey-jack going.

Draft saved Draft deleted