1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1977: Where were you when the lights went out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Watery, I lived @ 12th Street & 6th Ave., but about 15 years later. :) Do you have fond memories of the ambulance sirens as they headed to St. Vincent's?

During the blackout of 2003, it was really hot in my place--and there was nothing to do in the dark--so I ended up on my roof with all my neighbors and it was a giant party. It was amazing how many people I barely talk to, I got to know that night.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yep, St. Vincent's was right on the corner, ambulances and all. But it was a 2BR with a decent bathroom and window-unit air conditioners, so it was all good. :D

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drinking beer, chasing chicks, and enjoying the then-current 18-year-old drinking age. No power outages in Michigan that year. ;)

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was one day past my 6th birthday. I distinctly remember playing Cub Scout baseball at the grade school down the block. I hit a double down the right field line, and later, damn near broke my nose catching the final out of the game.

Mom and Dad was so thrilled with my athletic prowess, they quickly decided they needed to clone me, so they went home and conceived you. Wrap your mind around that.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't even think my parents were married yet.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believed it happened right about 8:30 p.m. Central. All three networks suddenly threw up bar codes (in retrospect, I would've expected the old Indian head test pattern) and I was like, what the hell?

I bet there were a shitload of babies born around April 13, 1978, though.

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

Nine years old, just finished watching CPO Sharkey (a short-lived, but hysterical Don Rickles sitcom), went to take a shower, then the lights went off, and I screamed hysterically, thinking that someone was plotting to kill us all.

Fortunately, my mom, RIP, calmed me down, I came out of the shower, and sweated the night away, as I remember it being the hottest night of the summer.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice pull...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I knew this was a young crowd in general but it dawned on me from reading this post of how young many of the posters here are. Damn, now I kind of know what Benjamin Buttons felt like.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was six years to the day away from becoming a father for the first time.
    That summer was my second as an intern at The Richmond News Leader. I was probably covering youth or minor-league baseball. I did a lot of that in the summer.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Probably spinning this record on my Pioneer PL-518 with heavy play on "Shock Me" and "Plaster Caster"

[​IMG]

Electricity wasn't an issue in flyover country that day....

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I really don't have any memory of this whatsoever, not living anywhere near NYC. I do, however, have a clear memory of a month later when Elvis died.

Draft saved Draft deleted