1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1977: Where were you when the lights went out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I sure wasn't.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy crap is that awesome. and it explains so much.

I was one year, four months and six days old. :D

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you are going to be that exact. ... I wasn't quite 9 yet.

My memories of that blackout are so vivid for some reason. Pancamo mentioned him; I also remember all the hysteria about Son of Sam that year so vividly, too.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was only exact because it was easy to count. If it had been before the 7th of any month, it would have been too much counting. :)

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

talking to my neighbor's dog

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Washing the windshield of some Pinto.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I was 9. My dad was in the hospital, our dog had just run away and there were rumors that the blackout had been caused by a meltdown at Indian Point nuclear power plant (not to far away). I was very scared, for lots of reasons. I remember that summer very vividly, too, for lots of reasons. The city was so gritty then - Son of Sam, the looting, grafitti, crime on the subway. Shit, it's making me scared just thinking about it.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I was one year out of college, living in the Village (13th Street, between 7th and 8th). I think there were maybe 15 apartments in the building, and all the tenants were young. We went up to the roof to watch. The whole island didn't go dark at once; every minute, another cluster of blocks would shut down and it was fascinating to watch. Somebody yelled, "The beer in your fridges is getting warm." Everybody ran downstairs, grabbed their beer, and headed back to the roof. We didn't know what was going on elsewhere but, on that rooftop, it was a great party.

[Son of Sam aside: I'm a brunette, back then with waist-length hair. All the female victims to date had had long, dark hair. I'm standing in line at the supermarket checkout one day when the guy behind me grabs my hair and says, "You should cut this. It's not safe." Seriously freaked me out.]

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In my mother's womb.

However, I am fascinated by that year in NYC, partly thanks to The Bronx Is Burning, and the documentary that pops up on VH1 Classic from time to time, NY77: The Coolest Year In Hell.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That is one cool story. One of the many reasons I love this place.

Draft saved Draft deleted